muting open string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jaworski, Jan 2, 2003.

1. jaworski

Aug 18, 2002
    hey everyone, i got a question...

i know how to/ and i can sucessfully mute an open note when im the note after is below eg.

but i always have difficulty muting an open note when the next note is above that string, because usually my right-hand which is tapping, can just cover the string easily but i can't do it

there are two particular lines that i have this problem with, as when im playing it i always hear a second ringing note, coming from the open string, these lines are:

tool - aenema

ratm - bombtrack

any help is very appreciated
  2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Do you play with a pick or with fingers?

Seriously, it will direct how you would mute.
  3. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    It looks to me as though you are hitting the harmonic of the string you are muting. When muting a string, always make sure that your hand/finger is resting upon that string in between frets. You'll notice if you strike a string while muting it DIRECTLY above the fret, it will ring. This is why the frets are located where they are. You may also notice that if you do the same thing directly above your pickups, they will tend to ring louder- this is why the pickups are located where they are.

From your tab, it looks as though this problem only occurs on the low end of the neck (closest to the nut/tuning pegs). This would be one of the hardest places to stop a harmonic hum. Experiment around with making harmonics (it can differ from Bass to Bass).

Hope this Helps!
  4. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    floating thumb. mute the sucker by resting your thumb on the e string instead of the pickup:)
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Exactly. And when playing the D string, mute the E and A with the thumbe. And so on.