1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Muting Open Strings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by corwin3083, Jul 21, 2003.

1. corwin3083

corwin3083

Jul 19, 2003
    Say you're picking two open strings in succession, the high G first, and then the D. How do you mute the G string to avoid a muddy sound? I've tried avoiding open strings, as I was taught when I played the violin, but that's not as practical on the bass. :)

What I'm really looking for is a number of options that I can experiment with. Anybody?

Thanks,
    corwin3083

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The thing I like (and dislike) about these threads is that it makes me analyze what I do. Anyway, three things come to mind.

1) I use my fretting hand to mute the G string after playing it. Takes practice though.
    2) Use a pick. You can pick the G string on an upstroke and play the D on the downstroke. After playing the downstroke, let the pick rest on the G string to mute it. Repeat as necessary. You can do this with your thumb too, but I find it harder than with a pick.
    3) This one is a little harder to describe. I pluck the G string with my middle finger. Then as I pluck the D string with my index, I move my middle finger back into the "ready" position. As the middle finger moves back to ready position, I graze the G string to mute it. This take synchronization between your index and middle finger.

Hope this helps.

3. OldDawg

OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think this is one of those questions where "it depends" is the answer.

For me it depends on what strings you're dealing with. Sometimes I mute with my right hand fingers, other times my left hand fingers are muting. If going low string to high string I will tend to use right hand. To add to the mess if I'm going from a high string jump down a couple strings I may just use the lower part of my finger by the palm of my hand to mute. Then sometime to slowly quiet a note I use my thumb. Oh for a whole other approach check out Gary Willis and how he mutes. He uses more a guitar approach using the palm of his hand, combined with right hand fingers. One of his instruction videos shows his method. He mutes A LOT.

Bottom line get some music with lots of open strings and practice it slowly insuring notes are being cut off/muted properly. After awhile you start using what works for you. Then you will just do it subconsciously.

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I use a form of palm muting. I use the pisiform bone (the one on the bottom of the palm that sticks out a little). I have become quite accurate with it and can do it on any string and stick pick another.

Mike

5. I would mute the G string with my left hand.

Simultaneously press on the G string lightly (LH) while plucking the D string (RH).

It feels weird at first, but easy to get the hang of because they happen simultaneously.