1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Muting String Duration

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Barry Clark, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Barry Clark

Barry Clark

May 9, 2007
    Wasn't sure where to post this... so if this isn't the right place, I apologize.

I am wanting to mute the note duration of the strings when I play not unlike palm muting a guitar. I know they make string mutes but I wasn't sure how well they would work for this.

Reason I am after this is I play all kinds of stuff with an electric upright and lately I have been getting into playing much, much quicker music and I am trying to find ways of adding distinction to each note. Currently, I am using light tension strings that are quite bright in tone.

I am considering putting a gate on my signal but I wanted to try something like a mute as well.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    you could try to weave something (piece of foam for example) through the strings next to the bridge

3. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    When I started playing I had the same problem. The best solution was to develop a right hand technique with a good attack.

4. Barry Clark

Barry Clark

May 9, 2007
    yeah. That is what I am discovering. I got the action down and that helped. Any attempt and dampening the strings also REALLY killed the higher tones. Which... I should have seen coming. But.. I was just taking shots in the dark and not really paying attention. I have considered gating the signal.