Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Muting string?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by iDavid, Mar 14, 2006.

1. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    Just starting to get serious on the Bass

When playing the A string, how do you guys mute or dampin the E string?

I usually move my thumb down to mute string I'm playing....

I tend to mute the strings higher than the one I'm playing with my left hand...

which leaves me with the first quetion....

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Are you playing fingerstyle, with a pick, or other manner?

If FS, for me at least, the E string gets muted when my finger comes to rest on it after plucking the A. If with a pick, I use part of my right thumb.

3. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    Fingerstyle

which finger (on the left hand?) rest on the E, your index?

doesn't the E ring for bit before you rest your finger on it?

4. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I'm talking about my right (plucking) hand. I play mostly FS also, plucking the strings with the index and middle fingers of my right hand. As in the first post, if I pluck a note on the A string, my fingers will naturally come to rest on the E. The same is true for the other strings also: any string is plucked and the next lowest (pluck D, mute A, etc...) string immediately adjacent to it gets muted. I agree that most of my muting is performed with the left hand, however.

5. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Not enough to make any discernable sound, at least IME. It happens too quickly. Also, if I am playing above the E string, I rest my thumb on the E, using it as an anchor. I should put a thumb rest on the bass for when I use the E, although I play a 5 most of the time, so I'm using the B the same way.

6. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    thanks for the help...

I'll give it a go tomorrow... its late over here...

7. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    One more question:

Your thumb is on the E string and your playing steady 8th notes on the D or G string, how are you muting the A string?

and I really appreciate the help, I couldn't find anything about on the web...

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    You could put your pinky [picking hand] on it, or you could have the finger [fretting hand] on the D have its tip rest against it.

9. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Ther are 2 fundamental ways to play with finger style:
    1. anchored thumb: the thumb stays on the pickup all the time or move to the E string when you play the other strings.. of course it's harder to control the A and D ringing sound when you play the G string and you have to hit the strings very precisely to reduce the posibillity of A and D strings ringing.
    Yet you can't fully mute those strings because the vibe of the string you are playing (G string in this case) and the wood of the guitar can cause them to ring too.
    2.Floating Thumb: you move your thumb according to the string you play meaning you lways keep your thumb one or two strings above the string you play at the moment.
    That way you mute all the strings above the one you play with your plucking hand and all the strings below the string you play with your fretting hand.
    For more Info about the second technique look in this thread

Adi.