Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

muting strings when going lower in notes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by airrick, Dec 29, 2005.

1. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    ok, i am a noob.
    Q- I know about how to mute strings when moving higher notewise, but i was looking in my "book" and it showed a piece, and it said to use my left hand to mute the strings. This is not very specific, could somesone shed some light on how exactly to do this?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Usually you just use whatever fingers you arent currently playing with to mute the strings. Eventualy muting becomes second nature.

But basically what i do is just use the non active finger to gently touch the strings im not playing. Often my middle finger is used.

3. I find it easier muting with the right side of my right palm when playing low but I don't know if it's a bad muting technique or not. Maybe it's just preference because right now I suck at muting with my left hand. :meh:

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you're playing the E or A string, your left hand fretting fingers will be over the D and G (and A) strings. Flatten those fingers out slightly to keep the higher strings from ringing.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. I usually use 'left-hand slop' to mute strings that are physically below the string I'm playing, and the right-hand thumb to mute the ones physically above.

It's way-worth-it to learn 'floating thumb' right-hand muting method.

Joe

6. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    +1

I just bought a 6 strings BG and I had to learn how to float with my thumb (on the 4 strings i moved only between the E and pickup).
    I started to float my thumb a month ago (or even less).
    I'm not fully in control of this technique yet, but it already comes very naturally.
    So IMO it's not so hard to get used to this technique and as joe said it's really worth it.

The only problem with this technique occur only if you play with your thumb massively or if you use the Double thumb technique, because then it's very hard (Maybe even impossible) to mute all the strings with the thumb and yet at the same time use it to play.
    other than that It's the best Muting technique IMO.

Adi

7. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    i think I know the thumb technique you are talking about, but if you were, say, playing a scale, that method would work for going higher in notes, but not lower, right?

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Hey you made me realise something, when I play my E string, I rest my thumb on the pup, when I play my A string, I rest on the E, when I play D I rest on the A (but I never go past A). I guess that does have the effect of muting. I just did it because it was more comfortable for me. I do a bit of left hand muting too.

9. ncpilot2

ncpilot2

Apr 26, 2005
    Nashville, NC
    I have a Norm Stockton instructional dvd, and this is the method he uses and recommends. Of course, he is playing a 5'er so it's on the pickup for the B, on the B for the E, and so on.

10. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Think about it that way:
    You use both hands to mute...when you play lower notes for example the A string, the D and G strings are naturally muted by the palm of the fretting hand while your thumb is on the E string muting it.
    Now when you play the G string (for example) your fretting hand palm can no more mute any string and then you have to float with your thumb to the D string ,That way you mute the D A and E strings with your pluck hand thumb and palm.

If you play that way you crate mutuality of muting between your left and right hand ....when one hand leave a string the other hand take it's place in muting immediately.

hope i made myself clear enough.

Adi.

11. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    The palm of my fretting hand is not near the strings. It's under the neck, not on top.

12. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Ooops I meant the fingers and the roots of the fingers (near the palm ) on the fretting hand create the muting not the palm itself.
    My bad....

Adi