muting strings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by z4knerd, Aug 24, 2004.

1. z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    I have not figured out an efficient way to mute a string that was just played. When I play short 'punchy' notes (staccato i think?) the string still hums - any tips on effectively reducing or eliminating this hum? ty
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's all in the hands. :cool:
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Off to the Technique forum with you!

...when a mod sees this topic.
  4. How are you muting them now?

If you're only using one finger to mute ringt now, try using more - should stop the hum / ring.
  5. z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    right now if i play an open i just rest a finger on it/ otherwise when i pick up my finger i just let it rest on the string rather than pulling it completely off the neck
  6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

once you play the desired note, use your plucking hand to quickly mute the string.
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I mute both at the neck and with the plucking hand.. For extra security.
  8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

yah, I also release my fretting finger(s) from the string at the same time.
  9. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Um, yeah, what he said, let's go off to technique.

What I do is mute the strings higher in pitch than the one I'm playing with the left hand(fretting hand), and the strings lower in pitch than the one I'm playing with my right hand(plucking hand).

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  10. AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    If you are wanting that staccato sound just try this:

Set your metronome at 100bpm. Play quarter notes alternating between your index and middle fingers. As soon as you pluck a note with your index finger, IMMEDIATELY rest your middle finger on the same string to stop it from vibrating(reverse this for the next note). Try to make the quarter note sound as short as it possibly can. You want the note to barely ring at all, and notice that you're already set up to pluck the next note when the next beat hits.

Once you get this down really well try it with eighth notes, and eventually try 16th notes once it starts getting easier.

This kind of plucking will also improve your overall speed too since it forces your fingers to work faster than they normally would.
  11. Keep your left hand in a closed position, and do your muting with that hand. It would involve more shifting, because it's difficult to make it work when you fret with your ring and pinkie fingers. So do most of your fretting with you index and middle fingers, and use the rest of your left hand to mute the string. If you do this in addition to plucking very short with your right hand, as others have suggested, the notes should be extremely muted, and sound great.

The only other way I can think of to get a truely muted sound is to use the right hand palm muting techinque, which involves downward plucking strokes with the thumb.
  12. Well I can say as a beginner (5 weeks playing now), muting gives me more fits than anything else so far.