Muting strings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by aerc10t3, Mar 6, 2002.

1. aerc10t3

Mar 5, 2002
    Kingsland, GA
    I'm a little confused about how to mute strings. From what I understand, you can use either your left or right hand. So if you decide to use your right hand (being right handed), you just use your ring finger and pinky to stop the ringing strings. And if you use your left hand, do you go ahead and place your extra fingers on the strings you're not playing to mute them, or do you just mute the notes that you already played. That may sound confusing, but I don't really understand it either, I read it somewhere. I was also wondering if there was any rhyme or reason to muting, or if you just do what feels easier at the time, mixing right and left hands to mute, using different fingers, etc. Thanks, aerc10t3
  2. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    That is how I do it. It depends on what is going on as to which hand /finger/thumb/palm or combination I use. Lately I have been resting my right thumb and that meaty part of your hand below your thumb,(when you hold your thumb up,or above your thumb when playing),gently on the strings above the string I am playing instead of anchoring my thumb. This takes a little getting used to but is really effective. ;)
  3. one technique I've learned.
    Say I'm plucking on the D striing with my index finger. The note sounds, and my index comes to rest on the A string. A is muted and middle finger is now ready for the D string.

If I play the D string again, the mid finger mutes that string just before plucking it again, then comes to rest on the A, muting it again.

If I go down to the A instead, my index finger can then pluck the A it's resting on, and come to rest on the E, while the mid finger comes down on the D to mute it. Or, if I want to avoid "raking":eek: , I can pluck the A with my mid finger and simultaneously drop the index on the D to stop it's ringing.

But if I go up to the G for my second note, my mid finger plucks the G, coming to rest on and immediately muting the D.

If I miss one string and it's ringing and the 1 & 2 are busy elsewhere, I've still got a thumb, and ring and pinky fingers to mute it with. The trick (for me at this point) is to quickly find the ringing string and shut it up..

I would think that if one kept this in mind (along with everything else to watch ) during practice sessions, ringing strings would cease to be a problem.

;) "Not that I have already overcome, but I press on toward the mark of the high calling of perfect muting and bassic mastery.":cool:
  4. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Burnthill, cool avatar. And you can actually see what it is.;) The basic rest stroke muting you describe works pretty well most of the time. Especially when the tempo keeps things moving and anything that starts ringing is over before you can really hear it. ON the other hand in slower songs I sometimes need to rest my thumb gently on say the two top ( e+a) strings to keep them quiet, and maybe reach down with my pinky to keep the G string from ringing out while I play the d string. There are a bunch of muting techniques. I hope this thread gets some more posts so I can find those that are most effective for me.:cool: