1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Muting Techniques of the Rich and Famous?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wishface, Aug 23, 2012.

1. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    How do people like Jeff Berlin mute string noise? Do they use their right hand at all?

I mention him because he, like a number of others, has a right hand posture I find rather weird; their hand seems to be splayed at an angle given the angle of the thumb. Whereas my thumb, anchoring on the strings, is more straight (or should that be perpendicular in relation to the strings).

2. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Flea does 100% left hand muting, which doesn't make any sense when he does stuff like this. For slap, he seems to mute with the right part of his palm. Also, Jaco uses his last two fingers to mute.

3. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    Any fingers not being used are laid across the strings as I play.

That is all.......

4. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Left hand, presumably, othwerwise I cannot see how that's possible.

Problem with LH only is that you get the natural harmonics on certain frets.

5. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Maybe flea has something under the strings.

Maybe those aren't notes that have a lot of string resonance.

I don't really know that song. Though people who play with their bass slung low always confuse me because the angle on the wrists, when i've tried, is just too much.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Do you curl your fingers over the strings, making a C shape from thumb tip to fingertips? Or do you lay your fingers across the strings, making more of a backwards J? Flat across the strings mutes unwanted vibrations.

Practice makes perfect, one persons technique is not perfect for everyone.

7. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I don't know what you mean. How can you play if your fingers are across the strings? If you mean do i use the floating thumb, no.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

As earlier said, Jaco is constantly using his other 2 fingers on the right hand for muting, and since I am just another wanna-be, yes I constantly use my right hand to mute, more so my pinky than my ring.

My right hand rests opens when I play, I do not curl my fingers in, I find that awkward.

9. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Does that not limit your speed? I find that flatter fingers slows the picking speed down.

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

I was talking about the fretting hand.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    I use a pick and lay palm/pinky across the strings.

12. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Ok, that's different then :D

But what about when you play parts where your fingers can't lay across the strings? Busy little runs that take your hand off the neck. What about when your hand lays across the frets that produce natural harmonics, like the 12th fret?

13. Floating thumb all the way. It doesn't take that much to get used to, and its more than worth the trouble.
    I really don't feel like muting with my pinky etc. it doesn't feel like a natural position to me.

14. plarry

plarry Banned

Jan 15, 2011
    Although I'm using the floating thumb technique, I'm not trying to evangelize anybody. I think you should try various techniques for a couple of days (or weeks, depending on the number of hours you can put in) and then choose what suits you best.

There's a bunch of interesting lessons on right hand muting / dampening on Scott Devine's awesome website: http://scottsbasslessons.com/technique . Great guy & great teacher!

Hope this helps,

P ;)