Muting techniques?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Switched, May 17, 2003.

1. When I play riffs that cover 3 or 4 strings, I find that I get a lot of unwanted tones from the strings I have just moved from as I move across the fret board. It's not noticable when I practice quietly, but when I crank the volume on my amp the ringing strings are really noticable and detract from the riff.

I guess the ringing comes from the fact that I let go of the string and that causes some vibration. I'm just wondering what part of my technique I should be working on to counteract this? Just in case it's helpful for you to know, I have my action set as low as I can get it, I use roundwound strings, and play fingerstyle.
  2. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    I think some unwanted noise is normal when you play a groove using 3 or more strings. Maybe when you are playing with a band that becomes less noticeable. If you are going to record you'll have to be more careful.

As any other tecnique issue the best way to go is to use a metronome and play very slowly so you can see what could be corrected.

And you should avoid stainless steel strings!
  3. using your right hand thumb to mute the unplayed strings as you move up accross the strings can clean up the sound a lot- do a search for "thumb trailing".
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    or floating thumb
  5. Thanks, will do. :)

BN. Yes, I think I'll also try a new set of strings, and go back to basics for a while. Thanks :)
  6. I've seen some bassists use a piece of foam between the bridge and pickup. or you could use Rocco Prestia's left hand muting style. the easiest is the Jaco as described in above replies.
  7. Exactly... I find the bottom part of my thumb (the part where you can see veins) is the best place work the magic.