1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Muting with thumb anchored on pickup?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I don't know how Flea manages to never show signs of left hand muting, keep his thumb anchored, and never use a scrunchie on the headstock. I can barely mute with floating thumb.

2. Prestia does all his muting with his left hand. I have his "Fingerstyle Funk" tape around here somewhere. It's kinda weird looking, but he's the master. Too bad they don't make ashtrays with the magic foam rubber strip in them any more. I threw so many away over the years. But I have not found an acceptable substitute because only the original mutes from above, and that is necessary because the open string sustains longest, and the foam exerts most force there, then as the string is fretted higher and higher, and sustains less and less, it very gradually disengages from the foam. Foam placed below the string does the opposite, so it is all wrong.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f21/rocco-prestia-tower-power-muting-technique-137501/

3. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Use the ring and pinkie fingers of your right hand on un-used strings....also utilize the thumb on the E string when not playing it,,,for muting.

Sachelis likes this.
  4. All unused fingers prevent unplayed strings from ringing, but I think he's talking about expressive muting, controlling the note's envelope. At least that's how I took it.