1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Muting" your bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by HowiePlaysBass, Jan 17, 2013.

1. HowiePlaysBass

HowiePlaysBass

Aug 24, 2012
    I have a few room mates who really don't appreciate my late night shedding habits. Anyone have any advice on muting my bass so I don't piss everyone off?

Not practicing basically isn't an option haha

2. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Have you tried a bass mute?

http://www.uptonbass.com/Bass-Mutes/

Between one of these and resting the endpin on a pillow (and/or stuffing the f-holes with foam rubber), you can quiet things down considerably.

3. Move in with a drummer maybe?

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've used many of the mutes out there. For me the rubber ultra bass mute is far and away the best at bringing the volume down. Its also one of the least expensive.

5. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    Yeah, the ultra mute, stuffing the f holes with foam, stand bass on cushion, wrap a heavy towel around the bridge and stuff the ends between the tail piece and the bass will help a bit. You can also weave tea towels or t shirts around the strings at the bridge. Play into an open waredrobe that's full of clothes.
    Hope that helps.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021