Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

muting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by oldtap, Sep 21, 2003.

1. oldtap

oldtap

Jul 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    hey everyone. anyone have any tips on muting especially when slapping? i just switched to 5 string and you can't get away with &*%@ on it...lol. i already know about the scrunchy trick but i feel cheap using one. bassist have been playing years before victor wooten and they never used scrunchies. it just seems like everyone slapping on records sound so clear.....there's gotta be a way to do complex slapping and have no harmonics or other noise. please help me!!!!

2. Got some good news and some bad news, there is a way, but it'll take time and dedication. Practise is the big one, you need to learn how to be able to slap cleanly again, and the only way I know that really works well is lots of practise.

I dunno who said it but theres a concept called economy of motion, its just about moving as little as possible for a particular action. I've seen people get like they're whole hand in on the slapping thing. Its a heck of a lot easier to control if you're just twisting your wrist a real small amount, keeping your thumb still pretty close to the strings, its faster too because you don't have as long a recoil time.

Take is slow and if you find you're unintentionally hitting several strings in a riff, slow it down at practise it so is smooth and tight, otherwise you'll enforce a poor technique into your subconscious.

Josh D

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can damp the lower strings with the lower arm and/or the base of your palm.

With-hand muting, aim to use at least 2 fingers, or you might get unwanted harmonics.

Hope that helps.