1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

muting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by oldtap, Sep 21, 2003.

1. oldtap

oldtap

Jul 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    hey everyone. anyone have any tips on muting especially when slapping? i just switched to 5 string and you can't get away with &*%@ on it...lol. i already know about the scrunchy trick but i feel cheap using one. bassist have been playing years before victor wooten and they never used scrunchies. it just seems like everyone slapping on records sound so clear.....there's gotta be a way to do complex slapping and have no harmonics or other noise. please help me!!!!

2. Got some good news and some bad news, there is a way, but it'll take time and dedication. Practise is the big one, you need to learn how to be able to slap cleanly again, and the only way I know that really works well is lots of practise.

I dunno who said it but theres a concept called economy of motion, its just about moving as little as possible for a particular action. I've seen people get like they're whole hand in on the slapping thing. Its a heck of a lot easier to control if you're just twisting your wrist a real small amount, keeping your thumb still pretty close to the strings, its faster too because you don't have as long a recoil time.

Take is slow and if you find you're unintentionally hitting several strings in a riff, slow it down at practise it so is smooth and tight, otherwise you'll enforce a poor technique into your subconscious.

Josh D

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can damp the lower strings with the lower arm and/or the base of your palm.

With-hand muting, aim to use at least 2 fingers, or you might get unwanted harmonics.

Hope that helps.