Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Spikeh, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I've been playing bass for a few years now, and I've recently started jamming with some mates twice a week. A lot of the songs that I'm being asked to play contain mutes, which I've never actually needed to play (of if I have I've either missed them out or played an alternative note). Some are pretty fast mutes too...

I play with the first three fingers on my right hand - haven't quite got complete control of my ring finger yet, but it's coming slowly. I've got a 4 string Deluxe Fender J-Bass (recent purchase and love of my life ;P).

Basically, when I play a mute, it sounds terrible to me and nothing like the recorded version of the song. Noone's complained about the mutes I play, but I just wondered if anyone could give me any sound samples / hints on how to play a mute? Also... I'm loving the slap, and again a few of the songs I play have slaps in them - can anyone provide slap mute exmaples / samples? Are there specific EQ settings for it?
  2. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

* bump *

A friend's just given me an idea of how to do it, but I still don't think I'm going in the right direction :|
  3. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    sometimes it is al about the eq settings. dun worry to much about how it sounds. feel the bass and you would be fine. it is all about the feeling.