1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mutron 3 reissue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ARCtrooper225, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Hi, a search for "mu-tron iii reissue" gave me this. Anyways... Does the mu-tron III reissue sound enough like the original? Is $230 justified for this pedal, given I can't try before I buy?

2. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I never owned the original but when I had the reissue it was pretty damned awesome. When I used to run it I ran into some old cats who owned the originals and they couldn't tell the difference, if that helps.

3. Awesome, now I just have to choose between several pedals, the reissue being one of them :p:
    Thanks

4. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    q-tron is pretty fancy, and it was designed by the creator of the mutron III

get a mutron III and a q-tron or even better the new micro qtron+, and if the qtron doesn't match up return it! but if the qtron is better... hmm resell the mutron reissue? ha

5. I'm already trying to pick out of 7 pedals as it is, don't add another :p. Anyway, I tried a Q-tron once and it sounded like it was dying, I can only see myself getting one (The XO plus) if I got a germanium fuzz (which is on the list of 7 pedals, lol) because I have this wierd thing where I try to match envelopes with fuzzes (like OCD of effects).

6. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    weird... have you tried the germ OD (that is what you are talking about right? the new EHX effect?)? I hated it for bass honestly...

7. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I haven't used either, but I seem to recal reading on here that a few people didn't think it sounded the same and possibly had some significant alterations in the circuit...

Here's a small thread where someone that knows what's up comments, and searching the word mutron will help

8. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    everyone told me the analog mutron3 is better greasier and wetter whatever that means...

the haz 3 + is digital.

fyi haz put out 2 versions.

one has dip switches inside to change how the filter acts. the other does not.

i had the one without the dip switches by haz and i sold it.

get the vintage. from musitronics :hyper:

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have owned an original and I have tried the reissue. The reissue is a toy.

10. So stear clear from it then?

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    At that price, yes, IMO. I can think of several other envelope filters in that price range which would kick its butt (QTron, Maxon AF9, Pigtronix, Moog, etc.).

12. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I own a Musitronics Mu-Tron, and used to own a Maxon AF-9 and a Q-Tron.

I sold the Q-Tron when I got the Maxon. But then sold the Maxon once I got the Mu-Tron.

In short terms: Mu-Tron>AF-9>Q-Tron.

The Af-9 is still a great pedal though, and if you can't afford an original Mu-Tron, I would steer well clear of the re-issue, and pick up an AF-9.

13. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I hear a lot of complaints about the reissue mutron, but I've owned the AF-9, multiple Q Trons, the EBS BassIQ, and tons of others I can't think of right now and I'd put the Musitronics Mutron up there with all of those. The thing performed for me very well. Funky as all get down, and it had a sound, a desirable sound, the other filters haven't been able to match. My first impression when I got the Q Tron was that I like the Mutron better.