Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Muzz Skillings.. Living colour

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fleabee, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Does anyone know what bass Muzz recorded with on the "vivid" album?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think he used to play officially/pose in ads with an ESP, but I guess he played his own gear on the recordings, whatever that was. Maybe even an ESP.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IIRC, Vernon Reid also had ads with ESP...thought Muzz maybe used a Spector?

4. Dug out an old Bass Player from '89. It said he used a "custom ESP", but that might have been describing his touring gear. In a '91 cover story, he mentions using a BC Rich Eagle for the solo on "Broken Hearts." Man I miss him. He was a huge influence on me.

5. thanks for the info...thank God for old bass mags..must be a great read..im jealous

6. in the Cult of personality video he's using a white Spector NS2.

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I thought he played Warwicks or Spectors.

Hmm, maybe I'm thinking Norwood Fisher.

Doug play(s/ed) both.

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    actually, he used a white fernandez bass alot...
    i believe that is the actual bass in the "cult of..."
    video.
    d
    p.s. when i saw him at lollapalooza he used esp, warwick, and a couple more!

9. I had a Living Colour cover band (with some Fishbone, Primus and RHCP thrown in) when I was 18. "Funny Vibe" was a high-light of our set.

10. Don't remember the Fernandes live. Started using Warwicks (Dolphins I think) the year Lollapalooza started. He also had a fretless G&L 2000. In a recent picture of him performing at a blues festival in New York, he had a white Warwick.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I dug out my copy of that issue....just to make sure I still knew where to find it.
    That '91 issue is one of Bass Player's early ones(Duh). They musta thought a lot of Muzz; the earliest issues had these guys gracing the covers-
    Geddy Lee, Will Lee, Jaco, Muzz, & Stu Hamm.

I pulled out the liners to both Vivid & Time's Up; Reid's equipment is listed(ESP & Hamer guitars) as is Calhoun's. Nothing for Muzz(gotta love that).

I pulled out the Bass Book to Time's Up...there's a pic of Muzz playing a silver-looking P-J config bass with a forked headstock; I'm too sure what it is, though.

12. heh, the book I've got for Time's up (it says "bass tab edition/authentic transcriptions" on the cover) has a pic of Muzz with a warwick streamer 5.

13. Big influence on me also. Living Colour was one of the first CDs I picked up when I started playing bass.

Doug Wimbish I think filled he shoes really well though. Totally different style of bass playing but fits VERY well into the group..

I cant WAIT to see them again Dec 8th!!!! :hyper:

14. BTW, where the hell is Muzz these days???

:confused:

15. There are rumors that he joined the New York Fire Dept. For a while he fronted a band called Medicine Stick where he sang and played acoustic guitar :confused: :( :scowl:
    If you look him up in Google images, it shows him playing a blues festival in Germany from 2003 (on bass). Apparently he plays with a group called Blue Mockingbird.

16. I could probably find this info on Google, too, but why the break up with Living Colour?? Was it because the band was getting a bit too "racey?"

I will never forget seeing them play on SNL for the first time. They played "Cult..." and "Open Letter to a Landlord" and I was hooked.

Their second album had its moments, but their 1st will always be special to me. :bawl:

Come back Muzz!!!

17. From what I understand, Vernon and Corey were notorious for aruging with each other. Two "divas" in their own way. But now since they are back together things have cooled down quite a bit.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree, although Time's Up is a nice example of Avant Rock/Funk/Soul.

Muzz comes back to life with LC on the somewhat recent LIVE AT CGBG's disc.

19. I haven't anything about this disc. How is the (sound) recording?

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Live At CBGB's-
    It's not too, too bad(not studio clean/still listenable)...a step up from Bisquits(if you have that one).