1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MWAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fat_o_bastard, Jan 11, 2002.

1. mwah is great. i just put roundwounds on my fretless jazz, and it sounds a thousand times better. now i understand where the sitar gets it's sound.

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    nothin quite like an earful of mwah!

3. the tobias pro i recently purchased actually had too much mwah for my taste so i'm raising the action just a smidge and hopefully that should help.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...yet, a sitar is fretted.

The droning or "mwah" effect on the sitar is achieved through string contact over an extra wide woden bridge. A company called Biaxel (sp?) used to make an "instant fretless" device based on this principle.

5. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    VoodooChile
    I also purchased a Toby Pro, I've changed the preamp to a bart and installed a bone nut, and I'm using flats. Still not happy with the overall sound.
    Are you using rounds ? How's your fret board holding up.:rolleyes:

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, VoodooChile didn't get a Toby Pro. He didn't get a "Toby" anything, he got a Tobias Signature Series Custom 6 fretless. :D I'm still jealous... :p

7. i thought it was a pro. anyways. the fretboard's holding up fine and mine already had the bartolini preamp in it so i didn't have to go through that trouble. but speaking of that, when am i getting my new strings Gard?