Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MWAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fat_o_bastard, Jan 11, 2002.

1. mwah is great. i just put roundwounds on my fretless jazz, and it sounds a thousand times better. now i understand where the sitar gets it's sound.

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    nothin quite like an earful of mwah!

3. the tobias pro i recently purchased actually had too much mwah for my taste so i'm raising the action just a smidge and hopefully that should help.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...yet, a sitar is fretted.

The droning or "mwah" effect on the sitar is achieved through string contact over an extra wide woden bridge. A company called Biaxel (sp?) used to make an "instant fretless" device based on this principle.

5. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    VoodooChile
    I also purchased a Toby Pro, I've changed the preamp to a bart and installed a bone nut, and I'm using flats. Still not happy with the overall sound.
    Are you using rounds ? How's your fret board holding up.:rolleyes:

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, VoodooChile didn't get a Toby Pro. He didn't get a "Toby" anything, he got a Tobias Signature Series Custom 6 fretless. :D I'm still jealous... :p

7. i thought it was a pro. anyways. the fretboard's holding up fine and mine already had the bartolini preamp in it so i didn't have to go through that trouble. but speaking of that, when am i getting my new strings Gard?