Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mwaaaaah! Took the fretless plunge.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by syciprider, Nov 14, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I simply could not get this bass' tone and feel out of my mind after trying it out last night. I had to have it. So I swung by GC tonight and snapped it up.

Yammy BB3000AF. A BIG step up from the regular BBs. This is similar to the Michael Anthony (I know...) model. Neckthru, P/J pups with blend, great active EQ, fat and clear tone, glossy wine red finish that is about 95%. I have no idea what the "fretboard" is made of.

It's already night time here so I had to take the requisite flash less pics with indoor lighting. The result is underwhelming but the bass is really beautiful in R/L.

[​IMG]

This fretless business is forcing me to play properly, eschewing comfort in favor of correct hand positioning for less intonation issues. I also need to work on nailing the notes above the 12th "fret".

In the meantime...mwaaaaah.... :hyper:

Thanks for reading this. :bassist:

2. Congrats! That bass looks sweet. Fretless is awesome. I really love those gold pickup surrounds too. Classy! I'm just waiting for the paint to dry on my current fretless project bass and then I'll post pictures too. Mwaaaaah for life!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Please don't make your bass say "Mwah." Make it say "Ni!" instead.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Is it okay if I make it say "Shrubbery"?

5. :eyebrow: This bass has a fingerboard. ;) And if being a Michael Anthony-esque bass bugs you, remember that BB basses are named for Bunny Brunel, I believe. :D Nice bass, BTW.

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Very Nice! I always liked those Yamaha basses, classy looking. I had the bolt on series many years ago on the road. A great workhorse. Wish I still had it.

And fretless to boot......we don't need no stinkin' frets!!
    (sorry, it is late and I am getting punchy)

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Anyone who can walk this world with a name like "Bunny" and a funny Shemp haircut has to be badass tho.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, but if you make it say "mwah," I will cut it down with a herring.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Nice bass!

I joined the fretless club a month or so ago, and I'm still working on intonation above the 12th fret -- it ain't easy . . .

Other than that, I'm loving it.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    JimmyM, you're the man. LOL.

Sexy bass you've got there. Always dug the 4 inline BB headstock.