Mwah effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bluemonk, Jun 3, 2005.

1. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I know that a fretless is the source of mwah, but do any of you use an effect to enhance mwah successfully?
  2. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    The defretter on my Boss ME-50B does this. I don't really like it with my fretted bass as I can still hear the frets when I slide over them, but with my fretless, this thing really enhances the mwah. I wasn't crazy about the defretter until I tried it with my fretless.
  3. If you're playing a fretted, you're looking for an effect that disguises the sound of moving along the frets. The 'defretter' is just a super-tweaked reverb. You'll want to find a reverb with a ton of early reflections, but with very short decay time, so you're not 'verbing for days.

I've never found a 'defretter' that actually works to make a fretted sound like a fretless, so it's really just a bogus marketing ploy for people hoping against hope. It always just sounds like a reverb. A short, thick, deceitful reverb. In my opinion, of course.

If you hit the Setup and Technique forums, you'll find that mwah is really enhanced by both your technique, action, fretboard material, string choices, pickups, attack, etc. Maybe a decent compressor would help to enhance the harmonic overtones that voice mwah.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I find a nice subtle chorus adds a lot of mwah to my tone.