Mwah-ful Fretless 5 or 6 for under 1300?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Jul 28, 2005.

1. I did on search on the topic and haven't really found much good data on the subject, so i'm wondering what your opinions are on a high quality fretless (very preferably new) 5 or 6 stringer for under 1300?

I play mostly jazz, acoustic stuff, jam music, and progressive rock. Looking for somethng with a ton of mwah and a nice fat sound.

I'm curretnly waiting (impatiently) for a word back from cort cubow about getting one of thier 6s de-fretted, but that's a last ditch option at the moment. I've tried several fender fretless' and they don't do it for me quality or sound wise. And i haven't found anything used that wasn't beat to hell, so i need help! Thanks in advance. :help:
  2. Carvin fretless 6ers muah with the best of them

I dont know how many times I've had the tone of my fretless Carvins commented on by bass players, as well as other instrumentalists.

You can order a fretless Lb76 with lots of extra features and still have some change left in your pocket.
  3. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    You can most assuredly get into a Warwick Corvette-5 for under 1300. New too. Active circuitry and all the mwah you can handle. The Bubinga body is heavy though worth it IMO. It is the only bass I've played that when playing it unplugged, you can feel the notes reverberating into your body as you sit and play.
  4. +1
    I'm a huge fan of Carvin's stuff...I have a fretted AC-40 4-string which I love...I'd LOVE to have a fretless AC50F 5-string...and would love to have a couple of other Carvins, as well...
  5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I have a carvin, lb75f. It garners compliments on it's looks (conservative but beautifull) and sound quite often. The ebony board is awesome for frettless, the hardware is top notch, and it's a dream to play. Mine only cost me 880 new, but I went easy on the options.

For 1300 bucks you could have this 6 string bass

35' scale, piezo pickup and tradtional active preamp mm/j setup, 5 piece neck, custom top, etc.

My point is that you can have your choice of scale woods, necks, pickup configuration, color, top, etc, in an extremely well built instrument for a very reasonable price. and if you want to keep it simple, the 34' scale model with the MM/J setup and no piezo comes in right around a grand (cash in your pocket.)
  6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass

What is the string spacing on their 6-stringers? I can't seem to find it. I'd prefer 19mm.
  7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I think it's either that or 18.5. I'm picking up a Carvin 5 fretless very soon myself.
  8. depending on what options you want, you could definetly get a custom made for that.
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
  10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Man, I'm not sure what the market on used carvins is, but that looks to me like an excellent deal. If only I had 900 bucks lying around....
  11. You have a PM steve. And i agree, that's a deal and a half. Keep all the great info comming guys! :D
  12. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass

What's the scale and spacing on that?
  13. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Two Thumbs Up for the Carvins. I have a B5F (Bolt-on necK, walnut body) and it is by far one of the best fretless basses I have ever played.....or owned. The ebony fretboard is on mine is a work of art. I have been playing on it for about 4 years and there is barely any signs of wear. I really get a nice mix of sounds with the PU configuration I have (see pic). Quality is also A+! If I remember correctly, mine was around the $800 mark...with case and shipping!

14. to the bump, to the bump, to the bump bump bump!
  15. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    +1 Great Idea and no he's not nuts
  16. I checked thier site and the only way i could get what i want is through the custom shop, and the MSRP would be well above 2400 so i don't think it'd fall in my price range.

17. by who? i'm very interested.

I've checked a couple custom makers and most of thier 4-strings start well above my price, let alone a 5 or 6.
  18. one last bump before i let it die. lol
  19. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Another vote for Carvin. I love my built-from-a-Carvin-kit fretless (it's a four though.)

And I do believe the string spacing on the 6ers (and the non-wide-necked fivers) is 17mm (and the wide-necked five strings are 19mm) But uhh... don't quote me on that. I think that's what I read over on the Carvin BBS recently. My old LB76 definitely felt a bit tighter than some other sixes I'd played, though I never got around to measuring it.