Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"mwah"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DumDumPops, Jan 10, 2005.

1. DumDumPops

DumDumPops

Dec 16, 2004
    I'm not quite sure if this is the right section, but I've been searching quite hard(google told me to give it a rest) and I also searched these forums. I came across a thread posing the question but there wasn't really an agreed upon answer it seemed, or at least it seemed like there could have been more explanation.

What is the "mwah" factor with the fretless bass?

2. "Mwah" is caused by the string vibrating against (buzzing if you like) the wood of the fingerboard. The string to board angle has to be exactly right for it to occur, although experienced fretless players can induce it often where a novice cannot. The effect can be controlled, modified, and even extended by the fingertip control, and the use of vibrato, much in the way a cellist uses vibrato.

3. DumDumPops

DumDumPops

Dec 16, 2004
    Hmm, I just played a fretless recently and I noticed on the G that it would make an uncharacteristic(but maybe characteristic) buzzing noise sounding like that of the bass(at least I think it's bass) in Primus's Jerry was a race car driver.. Is that the mwah? Or is that just a different type of tone.

4. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    dunno, a lot of people set frettlesses up really low in action, i play my frettless as hard as my fretted a lot of the time so i quite often click and buzz on other people's basses..

If it was a buzz also could be that the neck needs a tweek, depends what kind of buzz you talk of...

mwah is one of my favourite things, im all about playing the frettless with the punk attitude at the moment, anyone comes within 2 miles of me with a bass chorus and................

5. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    sorry jaco, you were punk....

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    what?