1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MX81 DI hissy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Miles_ONeal, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    I recently bought a used MXR MX81 bass preamp. I bought it mainly to use as a DI, although I now plan to use it for some tone shaping, too- if I can overcome the hiss problem with the low-Z output.

The DI is hissy. It doesn't matter where the ground lift is set (and that switch's phantom power function does work), or where any of the controls are set- including whether the pedal is on or off. I get a little hiss out of the hi-z output, but the low-z is much more noticeable. I found the hiss on stage subbing the MXR in for a SansAmp that was there. The latter is dead quiet, so it's not a cable issue. It held true at home into my mixer (trying multiple cables), as well.

The internal switches (DIRECT OUT and BUFFER) are both on (factory defaults).

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks!

2. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Can't say that I have - my M81 is dead quiet in that regard, and I've gotten compliments from pro sound guys on the sends I've given them... I bought mine new, and A/B'd it with the other DIs I had at the time - a Countryman 85 and a Radial JDI - and the M81 compared well with them in sound quality and noise threshold as a DI... Most of the time, I just use it was a straight DI, with the option of additional EQ and/or gain if needed... Bass Pedalboard(5).JPG

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I had the same issue, which is why I no longer have an M81 and now have a Mesa Subway DI. The M81 seemed okay as long as you only use the XLR output, but I found using both the 1/4" and XLR at the same time was hiss city.

4. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Hmmm - I use both all the time, and don't seem to get that at all - although I also typically play with a pick, so maybe I'm not boosting highs as much as you guys are...

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Nah I actually would cut highs when I had it :)

6. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Got me - I'm actually looking to upgrade from the M81, though - just posted in the Darkglass thread this morning...

7. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    I have all the controls centered. The XLR is hissy whether I use the 1/4" or not. It's pretty much a constant hiss no matter where the controls are set. When I have a chance to set the mixer up at home again I am going to play with the internal switches, but at this point I'm underwhelmed.

8. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    I tried again with the bottom open. Changing the internal switches changed functionality as expected, but did nothing for the hiss. I'm going to contact MXR.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021