Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR 80 + Old Russian Muff = Sonic Mayhem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cerpin Taxt, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    Hey all - just thought I'd relate my little pedal setup, since I've recently been getting some insane distortion/fuzz sounds. :p

I play in a rock band that sounds something like a mix between The White Stripes during their more rocking bluesy stuff and The Coachwhips... or perhaps a more up-tempo version of The Fall. (Does anyone know The Fall or The Coachwhips? I'm not sure, but they are both great bands.) At any rate, I find myself playing distorted bass for many of our tunes. For a while I used a good old DS-1, which believe it not worked extremely well for our sound. It definetly sucked out my low end, but for what I'm doing that's not always a bad thing.

Recently, however, I purchased an MXR 80 and someone gave me a Russian Muff. First of all, the MXR is absolutely awesome. In my opinion, it blows the SansAmp out of the water. The distortion sound is also really nice. Between these three pedals, I've been able to procure some ****-kicking sounds.

In particular, I highly reccomend to anyone who likes a some good mayhem to try combining an MXR 80 with a big Muff.

That's all, really. Just felt like sharing. :smug: