1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR 82 filter into MXR 87 compressor - squashing issues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hi guys-

I am wondering if anyone is running an MXR 82 into an MXR 87, and if so, how you dialed in the settngs to play nice with each other.

Based on my first go-round with the two of them last night at rehearsal, I found that much of the nice wah'ing of the envelope filter was squashed too much when used at the same setting as my fingerstyle playing.

I have the compressor set at a conservative 4:1 ratio with attack and release knobs at 12 o'clock, and the input/outputs set essentially at unity gain.

Would love everyone's thoughts on optimum settings for these two!

Lonnybass

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is literally not possible to have the same amount of compression when feeding in two very different signal peak levels. There's just one threshold.

One solution is to switch off the compressor during your non-filter playing. Another is to use two different comps, one for with filter and one without. Another is to adapt your fingerstyle playing to have a little stronger peaks, and set the filter to have a little lower peaks, so the two styles meet in the middle (in terms of peak height).

3. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    What he said.

I turn off my compressor when I want more dynamics-envelope filter or not. Typically compressor is off when filter is on.

4. Lonnybass's signal chain
    Bass--> M82 --> M87-->

I would set it up like this:
    Bass-->M87 --> M82 -->
    and set the threshold a little higher so that the comp doesn't kick in when playing softer.