MXR analog chorus vs bass chorus deluxe - comparisons?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    I am looking for a quality yet straightforward, simple mod pedal for my board. Anyone had a chance to compare these two pedals? I played through an analog chorus at the store recently and liked it quite a bit. The EQ controls on the chorus already seem to make it pretty bass friendly.

I have no experience, however, with the bass chorus deluxe. Despite the fact that MXR created a bass specific model I still see the analog chorus on some bassists boards. Curious about that!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Spaceman Ian likes this.
  2. Spaceman Ian

Spaceman Ian MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Md
    I've owned both, analog chorus was the obvious winner for me.

I didn't care for the bass chorus deluxe, wasn't feeling the sound.

The analog chorus sounds great. My main gig these days is an agency/event band; top 40 from the 50s to present day. I'm using the MXR on all the 80s Rock stuff (that has chorus on the record)

On other gigs where I may be soloing or playing some chordal stuff, the blend knob is fantastic. I can bring a little more "something" to my pbass tone without having over the top chorus effect...

Just my opinion/experience of course :)

3. Scott Lynch

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Nice. I was intrigued by the analog chorus after seeing it on your board, Ian. I think I will pick one up and give it a shot. Thanks!

Spaceman Ian likes this.
  4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I have both.

2lmw181.jpg

I put the analog chorus on my guitar board, and the bass chorus deluxe on my bass board. I actually may end up switching them. The advantage of the bass chorus deluxe is that is also is a flanger. It also has a crossover, which allows lower frequencies to pass through unaffected, but I don't feel a need to use it. They sound pretty similar, but I think the bass chorus sound better with guitar, and the guitar chorus sounds fine with either.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I chose the BCD. I liked the AC, and I could get the same sounds for chorus that I wanted out of both, but I like the flanger for light flanging/phasing duties, and the crossover comes in handy for the flanger to keep it from washing out the lows from your signal as it cycles. But if all you need is chorus, the AC's killer and costs less.

Scott Lynch likes this.
  6. Well!

Answering quickly, the BCD it´s a digital chorus, instead the AC that is analogic.

To my ears, the BCD it sounded cold, sterille, lifeless. The big deal it´s the feature to became in a flanger too, but his tone I didn´t liked too much. But it´s a dead quiet chorus.
    And in the other side, the AC it sounded fat, warm, very friendly with the bass frequencies. The only gripe that I founded was with headroom. I realized that it´s capable to compress the bass signal if you play really stronger. It can adding a bit of noise in your fx chain if you power him with a daisy chain. But I keep thinking that this is one of the best chorus for bass in the market.

I tried both, I purchased the AC, and finally I ended up with the TC Corona Chorus.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry to correct you in front of everyone, but both the AC and BCD are analog bucket brigade design.

SGT. BAKER likes this.
  8. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Also, I have them both daisy-chained for power, from a 3 amp 9 volt power supply, and neither displays any noise that I can hear.

9. Scott Lynch

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Ok. That explains the low cut switch on the BCD - it's for the flanger.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well it's also for the chorus...works on both. I just think it washes out the chorus sound too much on the low notes. Kind of does to the flanger, too, but at least you won't get that "now you hear it, now you don't" thing happening on the flanger as it cycles.

11. Scott Lynch

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    I've heard that the x-over has too pronounced of an effect on the chorus sound. On that note I like seeing the passive filters on the AC as opposed to the active EQ and x-over on the BCD.

Spaceman Ian likes this.
  12. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    The x-over seems to take away more than 50% of the effect, either in chorus or flanger mode, to my ears. It has less of an effect on guitar, but it is still pronounced. I don't use it.

13. Ups! You´re right!

I just taken a view to Dunlop info, and I realized that I was wrong. I though this ´cause time ago I did a comparision with both chorus, and it seemed to me that the BCD it was digital for this kind of sound.

There´s not offense in your words, Jimmy. :thumbsup:

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't hear it that way myself, but it's cool.

15. Scott Lynch

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    It's all good. I've heard a bit of back and forth on the BCD, so @JimmyM I'm glad to hear that it's working well for your setup. And thanks for sharing your experience with it!

JimmyM likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well honestly, if I had it to do over again, I might have gone for the AC and saved myself a few bucks. But to be honest, chorus isn't my favorite effect ever. I spent the last few months with it gone from the board because I ended up not liking chorus in general for my band, but now we do a small handful of new songs where I can use it, and it's a good one so I'll stick with it rather than taking a hit on selling it that probably wouldn't cover the price of the AC. So it's not like I'm a big chorus authority, but ether way you go, I think you'll get a good chorus.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022