MXR bass auto q

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gbird, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking one of these bad boys up today, gave it a whirl yesterday and its wicked, just double checking in with you gurus to see if you dudes have any reason why i shouldn't. I am kinda new to effects, and this would be my first, but i still dont think it would be a bad idea. It's just a little something to funk up my tone.

Well fellas (and ladies where applicable) I appreciate any imput i can get, and I have already seached talk bass and just thought some more feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Well, theres that plus I'm really looking for an excuss to join the effects scene here on talk bass.

Have a nice day. :D
  2. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Samples are well appreciated! :D
  3. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    I have posted some comments on this pedal before but I gave up my EBS IQ for this pedal and won't go back. It's really one of the best I have come across for this type of effect. My settings are different than any that I saw for the sample settings and I cut back the neck pickup when I use this pedal and it just kills. I love it!
  4. Sweet, thanks guys, I'll deffinately pick it up today (I love payday), hopefully I'll be able to put up some samples in the next couple of days, want to get the best it has to offer in the samples compared to a rough effort.

5. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    My favourite filter, I've given up loads of others for it. I have posted sound clips previously if you do a search.

Very solidly built, one of the only filters with a volume control, just can't go far wrong with mxr.

Congrats in advance
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I loved it, just had no use for it at the time. Still don't, but I still want one.
  7. So I picked the pedal as planned, and as I'm running it through my own rig, and back when I was demoing it at the store(I originally thought I just had crappy settings, but no dice), the effect when turned on is really quiet, it seems like my dry signal is being intirely bypassed and a much quieter wet signal is being passed underneath.

When everything is flat, I can only barely tell the diffence when it is engaged or not. Only by using extreme setting can I get audible settings, even then it's tough going.

Am I just unknowledgeable with this pedal, am I expecting to much? My own experiences sound nothing like the sound clips offered.

Any help from others who have played through it themselves would be extremely appreciated.
  8. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Right firstly setting it flat is not a good recommendation for any filter pedal, they have to be set just right.

The MXR is not as in your face as the Dod fx25 or similar filter, but it is very wet and squeltchy :D

Firstly set the volume to just over half way, set the blend to about 9-10 o clock ish and turn the rate to about similar

Then your going to have to have the q turned up quite alot so that you get a big sweep.

Turn the decay to about half way so the notes don't die off to quick

and turn the range so it triggers.

When I initially got the pedal I didn't like it, and it's now the best filter I have owned. What I was doing was not allowing it to open and I just thought it was to subtle.

Also try the suggested settings in the manual.

You very well might not like it filters are very personal things what some people like other people might hate.

But from what you are saying (setting it flat) it is most likely the way you have set it. There is nothing wrong with having it on extreme settings, I had my fx25 on nearly full on it's 2 controls and that was pretty much the only way I could get it to work or trigger. It has alot of controls and they are very interactive, but generally you don't get alot of range with filters the mxr is one that offers the most I've found.

So give it a little time and if you don't like then you'll be wanting a very extreme filter.

But I have to say the sound clips on the mxr site are very accurate so if you like those you should be able to get them out of the pedal.

Hope this helps
  9. Thanks for the reply so quick, I guess I was just spooked by all the comments from my g**tar player friends. That and having the volume and q nobs pretty much maxed.

Thanks TaySte, your imput has been really helpfull.(and in stoping me from embarrassing myself infront of my favorite music store's staff).