MXR Bass AutoQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 2pods, Apr 3, 2002.

1. 2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Has anyone tried one of these, and what is the UK price ?
    I'm considering a Mini Q-tron, FM4, Boss AW3, DoctorQ as well.

I've tried the FM4.Though it was OK, but would like a "true" bypass, and if possible, a level in and out.

Any ideas gratefully recieved:confused:
  2. im pretty sure the fm4 is true bypass like the other stompbox modelers...
    anyway i wouldnt really recommend most of those other ones especially the boss unit. I have yet to hear the dortorQ and the Mine Q-tron but i would look into the EBS unit if you want a good quality filter.
  3. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    I've tried it, next to my q-tron+. It's an interesting animal. I don't have a wide experience of envelope filters but it does have some good qualities going for it. From what I remember the up envelope was not as velocity responsive as the q-tron. It seemed to give a more standard sweep. This could be good or bad depending on what you're looking for. I think it was much less likely to go PPPHHHHWWWOOOAARRGGGHHH!!!! if you set it wrong! In fact, not likely at all. There is no down envelope option. there are three filter pass modes (HP, BP, LP). The LP was the only one worth its salt, though the others might sound interesting if you run an octave pedal at some point.

The most interesting feature of this pedal is the addition of a variable speed autowah effect with a blend control with the envelope filter. This means you can have all envelope filter (WWWwwaaaHH), all autowah (wah wah wah wah) or a blend of the both (WWWWwwaaHHHH wah wah wah wah ). Potentially a very uniqe effect! It can be set from slow pulse to fast trill.

What was interesting was I ran it in the FX loop of my Q-Tron+ with, the tron filter down, and set them to react in sequence so it went "WWwwaaHHHYYOOOwww" or "YYYYyyoooWWWwwaaHHH". Crazy stuff.

Anyway, it's been a long while since I tried it so I reserve the right to alter anything! If anyone has any questions pertaining to this little box then I might be able to help as it was ordered into the local music shop for a bassist who couldn't afford it then my guitarist bought it (he only runs it in LP also!). So it's available to use if I want to.
  4. It's still fairly new so I don't think anyone has tried it out yet, but it looks promising. MXR makes some pretty good effects, it can't hurt you to try one out if you get the chance.

The EH Dr. Q is a very quacky little envelope filter, it's a classic sound. Used out with an octave pedal you can get some really sweet octa wah sounds. I think the Guyatone flip filter sounds good for the price.

I think the Mini Qtron is just a striped down version of a really good envelope filter, sounds pretty good though for a mini filter.
  5. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Hmm BF, did you write that at the same time I was writing mine? :D.

It's not that new, the local music shop got it in about 6-7 months ago. But I'm in the UK so it may be distributed earlier over here. Would make a change if we got something before the US!
  6. Yes but that doesn't count Las Vegas...