1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe vs TC Corona Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MustangLouis25, May 21, 2016.

1. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    Hi, just want some opinions of these pedals, what are pros and cons of each? What are some differences, I'm looking for more subtle chorus effects really. Looking to get one of them. Thanks, Louis

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

The MXR can be quite subtle with the Crossover button, which only applies the chorusing to the upper frequency range.

I own that pedal and love it

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I haven't used the corona, just the zoom sim. Which is quite nice IMO. You can tell its on. I had the MXR for a few months and while it was nice in some ways, just didn't do it for me. It was far too subtle. So I guess if that's what's you're after its great. From what I've tried and heard, the TC would be the way to go because it'd most likely be more versatile. If you want it mellow, it'll do mellow. You want a full and lush, thick chorus, it'll probably do it.

Have you given the source audio orbital any thought? That's a great unit. It's chalk full of great modulation. Chorus, flanger, resonator, phaser. Great unti IMO. Rocked that pedal for a couple years. Greatest part, you can set it up with two priests. Have chorus on one side and flanger on the other. Or flanger and phaser. Just can't run them at the same time is all.

But if I had to pick one of the two mentioned, TC all the way. Simply because I feel it'll be more pronounced.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  4. Zoom's sims are different to the real deal, I made the mistake of getting a MXR bass DI+ it does not play well with my bass :(

avvie likes this.
  5. TC Corona chorus is a fantastic pedal. With the Toneprints, you've got a virtually endless amount of pedals all in one.

The Orbital that Greg mentioned is also an excellent choice. I've had both the Corona and the Orbital, and both are fantastic choices. I might lean slightly towards the Corona just because it is easier to get up and running...the Orbital is almost a little *too* tweakable.

Either would do a great job though.

6. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    Hi everyone, thanks for the comments, I think I will go for the TC Corona, I have had the Source Audio Manta Filter and couldn't get along with the pre-sets and the one knob that controls 6 things at once. Anyone else, keep the comments coming!

bongostealth and blindrabbit like this.
  7. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I have the Corona mini, and with the toneprints, you can go from very subtle shimmer to "holy poopie I'm getting queasy" crazyness very easily

blindrabbit and gregmon79 like this.
  8. +1 for the tc corona. I like the trichorus setting on the 3 way switch

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'm sure it is. I didn't think it was a dead nuts but it gives a general idea. And that general idea is much better than the actual MXR IMO.

Veldar likes this.
  10. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    I have both the Zoom MS 70-CDR and the TCe Corona Chorus. The Zoom sim is pretty good and a little clearer in a live mix. In fact live, I prefer the Zoom's sim better than the real thing. BUT....the real thing is clearer, more subtle and better quality. This is apparent in a studio when recorded. The MXR is a great pedal and I just love the flanger feature. They are both great pedals, I think the TCe Corona is more of a shimmer than a Chorus, where as the MXR is a modern take on a typical Chorus effect. Neither is better....just different applications and different variations. If you can't decide...get both or all three :D

Veldar and blindrabbit like this.
  11. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Haha YES! Do not stare into the enchanted mirror! The MXR DI+ sim was the best overdrive on the Zoom for me too but I knew the real life one was dog squeeze. Same with the QTron sim...good in the Zoom, very difficult on my pedal board.

Veldar likes this.
  12. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I have a Corona (not mini) and it is excellent. Very quiet, versatile and apparently well made (not had it long enough to judge, yet). I also have a Boss CE-5 which is also an awesome chorus if you like it, but like any other pedal, if you don't like it you are stuck. With the Corona and toneprint editor you just dive in and change the pedal - you should be able to get you exactly what you need...

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    Thanks everyone for your replies, keep them coming! I didn't know what you guys were on about with zoom but I've looked zoom b3 up and it looks really cool! Is it good? Has it got a corona sim? Thanks

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    IMO, all the newer zoom offerings are great for the price and what they are. They really are quite nice sounding. I've had the ms60b and 70cdr. Great units. I still have the B1Xon which is great. I just use it at home. But again, for what they are, they're great units for the price. IMO, the ms60b would be a wonderful stand alone chorus for any bassist board. It's helps it can do all the other stuff. IMO.

15. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    IME the Zoom Chorus Ensemble (CE-5) does sound like the real thing but the Corona Tri less so. That said, IMHO the Zoom Chorus effects sound great in their own right, regardless of what they purport to be...

16. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but since were on the topic of chorus pedals, any thoughts on the Source Audio Gemini Chorus?

17. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    Here's a good demo of that pedal along with some others by Source Audio, I think it sounds great! (Go to 0:52 to hear the chorus but the whole video is cool)

18. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Owned both, sold both. Now am 1000% happy with my mxr micro chorus. Better bottom end response than the bcd or corona

19. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Have you given any thought the EHX small clone @MustangLouis25? It's a great, simple and really nice sounding chorus. I love mine and if I didn't have the mobius I would be using the small clone. Great chorus.

El Spearo and SteveCS like this.
  20. mattymel

mattymel

May 10, 2016
    I tried the Corona and didn't like it that much. Too digital sounding.

I ended up with the MXR. The crossover is pretty subtle. But more apparent when used "in house" than through an amp.

Love the versatility of the bass and treble controls on the MXR, which is a huge thing for a bass pedal for me. And the flanger (when used subtly) is also a cool addition. Great pedal. Nails that 80s new wave tone.