MXR Bass D.I. +

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thumb master, Dec 22, 2002.

1. thumb master

thumb master

Nov 2, 2002
    Is the MXR Bass D.I. + worth it
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm actually a bit bumbed that it didn't come out a bit sooner. I bought a Sansamp Bass DI/Driver/preamp which is good, but it only has one footswitch. Which means that you can only use it as EITHER a pre-amp OR an overdrive.

THe MXR version came out shortly after and it has 2 footswitches. So you can use it for both simultaneously without having to bend down mid-song and muck around with knobs. I'm actually considering selling the Sansamp to get the MXR version.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Worth what? If you're asking if it's worth the money ($135.99 at MF), I would say yes. You get a decent preamp/DI and a decent overdrive/distortion in a solid box. I took mine back, because I wanted a dedicated distortion, and I already had plenty of tone-shaping available, but it's a cool box.

As far as Sansamp BDDI vs. M-80, I don't think it's really a direct comparison. They share some functions, but the Sansamp is more of an amp and cabinet simulator, and the M-80 is a preamp/distortion.
  4. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I've had them both and the Sansamp kills the M-80 tonewise.The M-80 is more of a weak fuzzed out distortion and the Sansamp sounds like an overdriven SVT.The clean sound on the Sansamp is way fatter also.Much more tube sounding instead of just a sterile clean sound like the M-80.Trust me, if you've played a Sansamp and then get the M-80 you will most likely be dissapointed with the tone.IMO the flexibility of the M-80 is not worth the tradeoff/loss in tone.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use the M-80 with a Q-tron to get a wild overdriven bootsy sound. I use the BDDI for tone shaping.
  6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I'll toss in a contrary opinion. The sansamp sucked all the high-end and clarity out of my sound. Sansamp + band situation = no cut-through.

The Dunlop was the answer for me. I don't use the distortion at all but for a transparent DI through the PA the Dunlop is the "clear" winner.

PS ~$115 at Zzounds (and GC will match that price so you can buy it locally and check it out and return it if you don't like it - just print out the Zzounds page with price and there you go)