Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR Bass DI+ vs. Sadowsky Outboard Pre

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman blue, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Hi guys. Anyone had the opportunity to compare the Dunlop MXR DI+ outboard pre and the Sadowsky outboard pre? I would like your opinions please. I currently have the MXR Bass DI+ but have never had the opportunity to play with a Sadowsky unit. I've heard so much good stuff about the Sadowsky, Demeter, and Aguilar sound, that it's got me interested. I believe it is just Sadowsky and Aguilar that have outboard pre's, right? Anyway, without this getting too complicated, I am most interested in the MXR vs. Sadowsky comparison. Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've used them both, so have several other people including SMASH.

One is three band, two channel
    The other is two band, one channel

The Sadowsky was perfectly good, some people love it and swear by it.

I personally found the MXR more useful for me, with the three band eq and two channel operation. Not sure if you've tried this, but if you engage the second channel with zero distortion it gives you a slap friendly eq curve.

What ones fits your needs best will depend on what your needs are

3. No experience with the MXR, but I think the Sadowsky is magic in a box. Sounds awesome.

4. thanks davidmwilson. i hadn't tried using the second channel like that before. channel 2 now works the same as using the color button, so now i can get three presets: the bass, channel 1, and channel 2. :cool: