Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR bass distortion/d.i. SETTINGS?????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iceblinko, Aug 8, 2005.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    hey all. i was wondering if any of you that use this pedal have some suggested settings. i want a thick fuzzy distortion (mainly for chords like the band "failure"). i'm just having trouble with finding a setting i like. any hints?
    -t

2. Are you referring to the M-80?

3. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    yeah that's it...

4. If you do a search you'll find a number of threads on this. Anywho, I don't really know if you'll get a 'thick fuzzy distortion' but I recommend putting the Gain at 3 o'clock, Blend and Trigger at 10 o'clock and Volume up as much as you please.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I find this thing too touchy with the distortion controls.

I don't think you'll find my settings helpful because this pedal reacts differently to very small differences in attack and volume settings on the bass.

But maybe this will help:

Crank up the bass volume. Now tweak the pedal volume both clean and distorted. When you make your distortion adjustments, start with blend and gain at max and work back. Also, IMO it doesn't give you that snarl if you don't pick it.

FWIW, I use it as a post OD EQ only.

6. godraphonic

godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    I have found that less is more with the EQ on the M80, the bass knob can really add some mud. I leave the eq on almost all the time, volume is to match my amp (about 11:30)

I use the color button in, the bass about 9, mid at 1 treb at 3. (o'clock)

On the distortion side, I found this pedal to be to bright/fizzy especialy on it own, but sounds better in a band context. I use it as a mild overdrive, with the gain low. I have the volume at about 2, blend 9:30, the gate trigger is cranked around 3. the gain around 9.

I use this last in my chain.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Hey, I moved mine to the end and I like it!