1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR Bass Envelope Filter - Wolf Tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hi guys-

I have an MXR M82 that works generally well, however I'm encountering an issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered it.

The filter seems to amplify one particular frequency in the sustain of the envelope that literally jumps out of the my rig.

I haven't yet tried to use my parametric EQ to try and pinpoint the exact frequency in that is causing the problem, but what seems to be happening is that after the initial "wahhhh," part of the envelope just blossoms like a huge unpleasant standing wave or overtone, then is gone.

Does anyone have any ideas? What settings are you guys using to get a nice quack without weird overtones happening?

Lonnybass

2. I encountered the same dilemma. It is merely the envelope closing. I am sure you could eq it out, but it is the nature of the pedal. I LOVE the M82 as it is one of the most aggressive filters out there...I'm not one for subtlety...but I just live with it. I was really paranoid I got a bunk pedal, but that is how it works.

3. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Might sound fine a band setting. Solo and band are way different.

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you have the Q set high then the filter will resonate more sharply on the major harmonics of whatever note you are playing at the time- this should shift depending on what you are playing rather than being one set frequency and is common to most resonant filters that are capable of strong peaks. Most filter pedals lack the kind of headroom to take those kind of peaks gracefully so they can get distorted at the extremes. I have recently found the same issue with my Iron Ether Xerograph especially in 4-pole mode, and Taylor suggested that I just set the low cutoff above the area where these tones generally sit- in your case the best option would probably be to either lower the Q setting or possibly lower the input signal. My Robot Factory Brain Freeze didn't have the distortion problem (though the strong peaks were of course still present), but its circuit was based on an old Korg synth filter section and had a much higher headroom than most effect boxes (and an annoying 16 volt AC power requirement to boot!).

5. stonecoldbass

stonecoldbass

Jan 11, 2010
    Melbourne
    Hi
    Yes! I suffer the same thing everytime I use this pedal. I love the responsiveness and over tone and ease of use, but I hate holding onto a note and then 'whooom' this huge low end resonant peak happens... If I turn the decay up far enough that it stops, I lose some of the coolness of the effect. I wish I knew how to stop/control this. Would a compressor help?