1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe vs. Aguilar Agro ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Anyone with experience with both - and any thoughts on these two?

I'm looking for more a "experimantal" (think Radiohead) tone vs. aggressive distortion.

Looking at the knob layout - they both similar except the Agro combines the Wet & Dry into 1 knob (saturation).

Anyone know which would fit the bill best?

2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I got b3k and agro I will try do a demo today or tomorrow to compare them both, no experience with the bass fuzz deluxe but I found the blending to be sucky for my preference, its like the fuzz and low end is two seperate signal

3. I don't have experience with either of the above, but another option to look at may be the Source Audio Multiwave Bass Distortion. I picked up the Soundblox 2 version, the smallest of the three, and with its small footprint I have been quite happy. Tons of sounds out of a small package.

4. IME I hated the SA MWBD.
    What I don't get OP is that you are asking to compare a fuzz vs a distortion. I mean they are pretty different.

Tons of more experimental tones than either of those 2. I would suggest a ss/bs TAFM, it has seperate clean and fuzz volume, but the clean is more of a cleanish, like it has gone through a low pass filter or something so it doesn't sound like 2 really seperate signals.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  6. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    I've had an Agro for a while and just got the MXR BFD. Two completely different sounds but both great IMO. The Agro can be off the charts distortion (Stu Brooks from Dub Trio is a good example of what it sounds like) but very musical and tweakable. The BFD is a classic fuzz sound to my ears, also very tweakable. I've also got a Way Huge Pork Loin which is very smooth sounding compared to the BFD. In fact the BFD almost sounds like an MXR Blowtorch compared to it. So with these three pedals my fuzz/distortion can go from mild to wild. The Pork Loin displaced my Bass Big Muff. Still on the fence as to if I'm going to sell it as it's a great pedal.

7. bobbertdole

bobbertdole

Jul 13, 2012
    I dont have experience with either of those but no matter what else i try i find that a USA Big Muff cant be beat.

8. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    ones an overdrive and ones a fuzz, both different

9. I'm new to the pedal game... I've always been a bass to amp guy. I would like to experiment with some textures and all of this is new to me.

Like my first post stated, I'm not looking for "balls to the wall" distortion... I play fusion / experimental music - ala Radiohead.

What pedal(s) do you feel would fit?

10. I guess the best way I could describe the tone I'm looking for is like very very rough sandpaper vs. very fine sandpaper if that makes sense?

More thick textured gruff vs. blazzing hair raising distortion.

11. As an Agro owner, it is mostly for heavier more "saturated" distortion. For the "sandpaper" style you are looking for I would suggest a Way Huge pedal, either the Pork Loin, Green Rhino or Red Llama. The Porkloin is great for a light, grindy overdrive and the Red Llama can go from dirty tube overdrive to a big fuzz sound. The bassist for Radiohead, Greenwood, I believe, plays straight from his P-bass into his Ampeg SVT, so he isn't a real effects driven player. He does use the Shin Ei companion fuzz which out of your two choices matches the MXR better. Most of Radiohead's experimental tones come from the synths and programming, in my opinion. I tried to make an experimental pedal setup - delay, distortion, fuzz, phaser, filter and ended up getting to involved in tweaking effects rather than playing bass. My suggestion is to just play dry! Sorry for the miniature hijack and diatribe.

12. Definitely go for the fuzz then. It's smooth, saturated and has a clean blend.

13. A fuzz that I would think of as experimental would be Fairfield Circuitry's Unpleasant Surprise. It can get real splattery as the gate tries to choke out the note. That isn't the only sound it does but it's decay is amazing.
    smallsound/bigsound has a few really good fuzzes, The Team Awesome Fuzz Machine can cover a TON of ground. The Gate mod gets synthy. The 4545 fuzz by ss/bs does a lot of wold stuff, can definately be experimental.
    I will think of some more later.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Did you listen to my sound clips above?

15. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    The agro definitely had a fuzzy drive character to it, where the bfd is all out fuzz.
    I found the agro got lost in the mix, no matter what settings I used.
    The bfd however seems to add girth in a full band mix, still retaining low end ( thanks to the dry control), and definition.
    This has always been my issue with fuzz pedals in the past. I am now very happy with my fuzz sound.
    I would suggest getting some play time with them before you make a decision.

16. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    my opinion on the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe: great sounding, affordable, compact and tweakable pedal. Key feature: separate dry/wet control to retain the low end. It replaced my green Sovtek Muff on the board. Most of the time i use my Catalinbread SFT before the BFD.

17. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    New Rochelle, NY
    This is really going to come down to which sound you like better. Both of these products are made by reputable companies that make well designed pedals. MXR has been knocking it out of the park with their recent bass offerings and Aguilar has always made products for the bass.

BTW I have an AG500 with a gain channel that is the foundation for the Agro. I've always loved the sound of the distortion but ended up prefering a gated fuzz( Iron Ether Oxide, Grey Stache+)

YMMV...

18. oh no... I just looked into Gated Fuzzes :eek:

Alphaman likes this.
  19. Once Again, ss/bs TAFM with gate mod.

20. How does that compare to the more readily avali Wolly Mammoth and Brown Dog ?