MXR bass octave deluxe, mid boost of push the dry level ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, May 2, 2012.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    On the MXR BOD why use the mid boost instead of just turning up the dry signal? Is it that with the straight dry signal turned up it can get muddy but with the mids only boosted the tone is more defined?
    What does the mid boost give you that just turning up the dry level doesn’t?

2. Yurtra

Yurtra

Apr 26, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Because more volume isn't always the answer for cutting through the mix. Sometimes proper EQing (which can often mean more mids) will allow you to be heard better without having to raise your overall sound levels too high.

3. I find the dry rolled down a fair bit, but mid-boost engaged gives me a tone where the low octave still rules, but it sounds "polyphonic" for synth bass work. If you just pull up the entire dry signal it still sounds cool, but sounds much more like an octaver on bass.

4. famousbirds

famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    Yup. I'm a big fan of the 100% wet octaver sound for synth-y bass lines, and the big advantage for me over the OC-2 is having that much control over the straight octave sound.

5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    OK, I've had a chance to play with a little more now. Pushing the dry at about 3:00 gives it the same gain as bypassed but it does seem a bit muddy with the octave levels up. The mid does lift the dry tone out of the mix without it being muddy which I'm sure is the idea.
    Do other octave pedals without a mid boost suffer a little because of the lack of mids?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021