1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe Midrange Switch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hey gang-

I'm wondering, is the Midrange selector switch essentially just a "mid boost" EQ circuit on the front end of the circuit? I know that both the BOD as well as the MXR Bass Envelope filter are MUCH more responsive when fed a strong midrange signal - just wondering how to envision the thing as part of the various EQ elements I have in my rig.

Lonnybass

2. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    This review on pedals and effects demo's the BOD with and without the mid boost. From 6:25 they talk about the mid boost frequency being at 400hz but it sounds more like the higher 850hz frequency to me, or is that just the video quality ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxslAzZsJS8

3. bikingbassist

bikingbassist

Aug 26, 2013
    Pocatello
    I use the BOD with the mids all the way up at 850. I think it makes the "dry" sound cut and still sound good with the octave down signals. I'm already boosting the mids on my amp and parametric EQ too and I don't think it sounds like too much.

4. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    MXR's literature doesn't seem to specify, but my guess is that the midrange boost appears post-effect, rather than pre-effect, since the supposed purpose is to help cut through the mix rather than to improve tracking/response.

5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I find the 850 hz mid boost works better for me too. It just helps the dry stand out when i want it to.