1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR Bass Octave - Did I get a dud?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassTim, Jan 20, 2012.

1. BassTim

BassTim

May 7, 2009
    Northern CA
    I got an MXR Bass Octave Delux pedal for Xmas. I love playing with this pedal! However, I am noticing that there is often (inconsistently) a low noise that prominently sits in the background. Almost like a low static sound - definitely not part of tracking what I am playing.

Is there something I am missing about the set up for this? (Running dry straight up, growl at about 10:00 and girth straight up, the internal mid-range adjustment is set as it was coming out of the box.)

I thought it might be part of the "growl" setting. It is definitely worse if I run it with girth turned all the way down and growl at about 12:00. But evening when I run it with girth at 12:00 and growl all the way down - its still there - obviuosly!

Did I get a dud and should contact MXR about a replacement or is there some set up tweak I am overlooking?

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Mine is bone dry so you probably did get a dud. Call Dunlop's customer service, it's ace.

3. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    This pedal's on my wish list, so... subscribed.

4. Damascus

Damascus

Aug 9, 2008
    How is the pedal being powered?

5. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Had one a while ago. It was quiet as can be. Try powering with a battery and see if it goes away. I would probably contact mxr if I were u. If its still there with battery power I would guess u have a dud.

6. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    As mentioned above - have you cancelled out power or any cable/pedal connections?

7. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Test cables and power sources (is there a dimer in the room?) if nothing works out contact MXR customer service. These guys will take care of you.

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I had one that was dead silent and had zero tone suck or noise problems, I'd get in touch with MXR and get a replacement, cuz its a powerful good sounding pedal other than the issues you're experiencing.

Edit: Also, I have "heard" through the TB grapevine than MXR sends bunked units every now and then, I think they know this and thats why their customer service rep is so good.

9. Make sure you haven't got any stray power cables, from unplugged pedals, coming out of your power source.
    I've gotten skunked by this one.

S

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    If it isn't the power supply then the pedal is malfunctioning. It is warrantied though so send it back.

11. BassTim

BassTim

May 7, 2009
    Northern CA
    So, here is where I am.

I originally ran it on batteries and had the same issue. I am now running it with a VooDoo Pedal Power ISO 5 - still have the same issue. No issues with my other pedals.

I am assuming I have a bad pedal - Just got off the phone with MXR and they are arranging for me to send it in to be fixed or replaced.

I'll update this post when I get it back/replaced.

12. Cool for you and MXR.

S

13. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    that's good they took care of you. I'm in the "never had a problem with mine" camp

14. BassTim

BassTim

May 7, 2009
    Northern CA
    Here's an update. Sent it in to MXR - they tested it, replaced the main board, and sent it back. I set it up and there is that same noise again. The MXR rep said you can get noises if your pick ups are "hot." I'm playing an Ibanez SR505 which seems to have hot pick ups. After playing around some more - here is what i found. When I mute all the others strings - the noise goes away. So, it seems the Bass Octave pedal is picking up the residual vibrations of the OTHER strings and putting it out as a deep low static. I have a fretwrap and using that seems to solve the issue - as long as I am playing up on the neck.

Am I just an idiot for not knowing this would be an issue? Has anyone else had this issue and found other solutions?

Anyway, I'm glad I know what is going on and have a work around - I really do like the effect.

15. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Wow. You know I've had the same problem with my SR300 and the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. There are some sounds on the thing that can't be used unless you physically and thoroughly mute all the other strings.

16. DirtyDeRock

DirtyDeRock

Nov 9, 2011
    Would the issue you're talking about be like the filter sweeps? Like if you hit a note and let it ring, then the envelope seems to be retriggered repeatedly...even with the sensitivity set so it takes more to trigger?

That's the issue I'm having and only noticing it with my new SR506.

17. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I'm talking about the synth sound one can hear in the melody of this simple track.

That four or five note melody, played on one string, had to be executed extremely carefully lest the other strings start making an incredible racket.

Never had a problem with my MXR envelope filter. Doesn't seem to be weird on my new Source Audio Multiwave Bass Distortion, either.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  18. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mine does this too depending on what bass I use and how cleanly I play. I think it is a tracking issue of sorts- the gating on the MXR seems to be less sensitive than on the Boss OC2 for example, so that it tries to track things that the Boss just overlooks. I also notice that when I use the Boss with a single coil pickup all the single-coil hum goes away, but with the MXR some remains- so the MXR is allowing more signal to pass through the gating circuit.

19. I have never had an issue with mine making extra noise. I do know that Octavers, Synth pedals and anything else that tracks your notes requires careful technique. Muting and clean playing are essential. If you have a neck pickup, use it. If your bass is passive roll off the tone control. Anything that helps you give a good solid fundamental note.

20. Well, I have a btb785 which also has boiling hot pickups&electronics, but never had any problems...the only problem I had is if I fed it 12v it madea noise around 4khz...so I made a voltage regulator that puts out regulated 9v and its all ok again. Plus, I tend to like the random noises it makes if I make the bass vibrate (not directly the strings)....its alive!