MXR Bass Octaver Deluxe vs. EBS OctaBass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by juusokasperi, Oct 10, 2011.

1. There's been a lot of discussion especially about the EBS OctaBass and I have had the chance to test it pretty thoroughly in a music store just a few weeks back. Now I'm wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare the OctaBass with the MXR Octaver?

The OctaBass is an awesome pedal in terms of both tracking and sound but some of the demos I've been watching from YouTube also got me very interested in the MXR pedal.

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I own both. What do you want to know?

3. cst bass

cst bass

Jun 3, 2011
    i played the mxr in a store this past weekend.

i wasn't too impressed actually. i couldn't seem to dial in a phat tone. you could get many big tones, but not real fat ones.

they had an old OC2 there that i picked up instead. fatness unmatched.

i actually even like the octaver on the mark bass super synth better than the mxr, but that took messing with computer settings for a good amount of time first.

just wasnt' feeling the mxr

4. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Having owned both, my opinion is the EBS tracks better, but the MXR has more much "character." Basically, if you want more subtle sound thickening and/or an octave that sounds pretty much like the note you play, get the EBS. If you want something a little more gritty or synthy, get the MXR.

With that said, you should also check out the Aguilar if you get a chance, I settled on it over the two above because the tracking is good (maybe not quite as good as the EBS, but still really good and better than the MXR) and it has a much bigger range of sounds possible than the EBS or MXR.

5. Thanks for the replies!

The point that MXR Octaver has a wider range of sounds is very intriguing, but the one thing I've been mostly concerned about is if the MXR tracks as good as the OctaBass and it was answered :). Next weekend I also have a chance to test the older OctaBass model and I think I might get it (though I've heard it's not as good in terms of tracking as the newer model).

The Aguilar Octamizer seems like an interesting one though. The problem is I've never seen any Aguilar pedals in any music stores in Finland so I have virtually no chance of testing one.

6. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Beware of older/used EBS-pedals. From what I've heard, they tend to go bad more often than not. At least that's my impression from other TB'ers.

Having them both (the EBS and the MXR) I found the MXR phatter, in lack of a better term. Tracking were about identical.

jumblemind likes this.
  7. BassMonstrum: Thanks for the heads up! Anyways I'm going to test it thoroughly before making a decision buying it.

8. lucalindemann

lucalindemann

Nov 22, 2011
    Milan/Italy
    Hi, same issue with me. I had an EBS Octabass many years ago and got bad after few months. Same problem with the EBS Bass Chorus.
    I got rid of them. Now I'm oriented to the MXR. I had good experiences with Jim Dunlop stuffs in the years...
    I have the Digitech Bass Synth Wah that has a decent Octaver, but it sounds a little fake... That's why I'd like to change it for an MXR...

9. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!
    In contrast to general public opinion over here, after I A/B'ed MXR with EBS, my findings showed that EBS tracks better (comparable to Grit and much better than Growl side of MXR) while sounding warmed, wider and overall bigger.... both units are fairly new and despite my personal favoritism , I choose EBS. OD pedals deriving from both manufacturers gave me similar findings in terms of tone clarity and pedal functionality.

10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I found the MXR tracked slightly better than the EBS, but that they are mostly comparable. Tracking is VERY dependent on your playing attack and what pedals you stack in front.

Completely agree with the above that if you want the sound of your bass just lower and growly, go with the EBS. If you want to be not quite as natural and more "effected" sounding all the way to semi-synthy, go with the MXR.

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm in the camp that feels the MXR is the best tracking analog octave pedal on the market, and I've tried quite a few. The only thing I've tried that tracks better was the EHX MicroPOG, and that's a digital pedal which is hardly and apples to apples comparison. I liked the tone of the MXR better than the EBS or Aguilar octave pedals, but they all sound pretty great. The 3Leaf Octabvre was the best sounding one I've tried to date, but there were tracking issues with mine, which was one of the earlier units released. Spencer might have worked that out by now in which case I would definitely give it another shot. Sort of like a better version of an OC-2, which was already a really cool sounding pedal, but plagued by QC issues.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021