MXR Bass Preamp Buffer Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hi-End Basses, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Does anyone know if the DI on the MXR M81 works at all if the pedal is not engaged, since it's buffered? In other words, does the pedal have to be turned on in order to send to front of house? I've had true bypass DI's that would send to FOH when completely off.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DI is always on.

Hi-End Basses likes this.
  3. M80: buffered output and always on DI.
    M81: you can choose between buffered bypass, wich enables the DI, or true bypass, if you want to use it as a regular pedal.

4. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I believe the 1/4" output is either buffered output or true bypass, and you select that via the internal switch.

The DI out is always active, and you can select pre, or post EQ via the button outside the pedal. Beautiful pedal.

Hi-End Basses likes this.
  5. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    The M81 has an internal dip switch for buffered or true bypass. Out of the factory, it's set to buffered as default. I used to have this pedal as my first in my chain and it was set (unbeknown to me) as buffered and it had a bizarre effect on some of my pedals and others loved it.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021