MXR Bass Preamp versatility question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by redrider, Aug 22, 2017.

1. redrider

redrider

Jun 6, 2007
    I am wondering if anyone has used the MXR Bass Preamp with other instruments, and if you could relate how well it worked. I play bass mostly but do some acoustic & electric guitar as well and want to avoid having to buy multiple preamps if I can avoid the expense.

I almost forgot to say I am asking about the small box Preamp, the M81 I think.

2. chumbo73

chumbo73

Nov 8, 2012
    As it is a quite transparent preamp, it works fine also with my electric guitar and I use the EQ section.

3. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    The treble and bass frequencies are tuned for bass. So you might find that those controls don't work so well on other instruments. But the input and output gains are very transparent and great as a clean boost. The variable mids will work on anything too.

4. redrider

redrider

Jun 6, 2007
    Thank you for the feedback. Looking like I need to keep searching for something else to do the job.

5. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
  6. kurth83

kurth83

Mar 28, 2016
    That fishman looks fantastic, nice EQ section, has a tuner and a compressor too.

7. redrider

redrider

Jun 6, 2007
    This has a 12 db boost as well (if you like it after your drive stomp). This could replace several pedals at one fell swoop.

I will check it out, thanks.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  8. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Also has a LPF and effects loop.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021