1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR BLOWTORCH vs MXR M-80 :hyper:

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hey, I have the M-80, but how does the blowtorch stack up to the M-80. More grind and low-end from the blowtorch? What do you guys think? I really don't need a clean channel, though it does work well as a boost. Oh, and finally, what does the power line look like? Does it require one 18V plug or does it use double 9V (two nine-volt inputs sitting next to eachother)? Some PICTURES? Thanks a lot.

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Everywhere I check, no one has the MXR M-181 Blowtorch in stock. I don't think it's officially out yet. It's not even on the Dunlop web site.

On the sites selling it (like zzounds and samedaymusic) they've posted messages like this:

"Order now -- expected in our warehouse 04/10/2006."

April 10, 2006 - Same date on the sites I've checked. That must be the official release date.

I wonder why there's nothing on the Dunlop site about it?

Go to those online stores I mentioned to see pictures. It's got a steel chassis with that "sanded down in your high-school metal shop" kind of look, and a nice orange graphic and font style that reminds me of construction site signs.

Looks like this could be the direct competitor of the Sansamp BDDI, as the M-80 (which I own, btw) takes a different approach on the preamp concept by gearing away from tube emulation. The Blowtorch sounds like it features some sort of tube emulation. Even the price is close to that of the Sansamp.

Someone in the TB community needs to buy it - I can't afford to even test it right now (cursed rent and college student budget...)... :(

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Sounds awesome. I'd love to add one to my new board, maybe replace the fuzz/univibe. Has anyone tried the BT through a wah?

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I use a blowtorch with a Dunlop 105Q and it is very interesting sounding and Funky.

7. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    those clips sound really good

8. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Man, those clips are great. I liked Jauqo's clips, but these have me sold.

The last clip sounds like a tuba, that's awesome :)

-Dash

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Damn it.
    These clips sound like crap to me too.
    Once again, can't really blame the player behind them.
    I'm affraid this pedal isn't for me. :/

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Ah, but can it scream :bassist: I use a Dime CFH, so the wah sweep should be similar

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

all I can add is that it is thick and not weak sounding at all and again Funky.

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    In that case, it's top o' the GAS list!

The reason I wan't to replace the Uni-Vibe/Fuzz setup I've got is that 1) I don't really use the Uni-V, and 2) It loses bottom when I turn on the fuzz :bawl:

From what I hear in these samples, and from what I remember of yours (I'll have to listen again), it seems to hold the bottom quite evenly with the mids and highs, which is perfect before a wah IMO

thanks! :bassist:

EDIT: I believe that I just hi-jacked this thread, sorry :crying:

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    One of my biggest concern with any distortion or fuzz pedal that is designed for Bass is it's ability to maintain the Bottom and that's what I get from the MXR Blowtorch(it's three band eq is perfect in assisting in obtaining this much needed ability)and it even maintains the bottom and thickness while using it with the Dunlop 105Q.one of the kool aspects of the two different samples,is that Mine is just Bass with out any other instrument and Ed's samples are with drums.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Man, I'm with Jazz Ad on this. Absolutely no criticism or disrespect to Ed or Jauqo for their playing, but those samples make me put my wallet back in my pocket. They cured my gas better than TUMS. [sound of slide whistle note descending.../] Of course distortion is a very subjective matter of personal taste, but none of those tracks had a distortion sound I liked. Although I will admit that in the one Friedland track accompanied by more of a full-band sound, the bass tone blended into the band pretty well. So I guess (like mid-scoop VS mid-boost) the sound by itself through headphones and the sound in a live band context are very different animals.

15. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    +1 Has to be better (different) to make me forget my BB Preamp!

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    That says it all :D

That's also why I did all those samples of the PDDI and English Muff'n. If you like em', you like em'. And, if you don't, then that's all good to! I figure the more informed you are about the sound of a pedal, the better off you are. I, for one, have been really lucky with effects. The only one I've bought after being able to listen to any samples is the EM (thanks tplyons!). Fortuntly, I like all the pedals except the distortions on my V-Wah.

Sorta back on topic though, not only does the BT seem perfect for my setup, but it'll give me an excuse to try out the dunlop brick!

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed- really I am grateful for the samples! Sorry I just expressed it as a criticism. I guess what made me do so was just surprise that other people were hearing something so differently than I did. But why should I be surprised, we all have different ears.

18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ^ Criticism is all good in my book :D

19. Hey Jacquo (hope i didnt butcher the name, sorry if I did) do you have some pictures of the beast? I was actually wondering about the DC in, does it have two in to power it, or does it need a special adapter, or how does that work. Also how does the boost function? Thanks!

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    my name is spelled Jauqo(and no I'm not offended)The Blowtorch takes an 18v ac adapter or two 9v batteries and the boost function(on mine it's called the torch)takes the gain and volume up,there's also a thru out jack in case you want to send a clean signal to another amp.

in the attached link below you will find a pic in post 12 and 71
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230471&highlight=blow+torch