Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR Blue Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psi, Aug 17, 2005.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Anyone have any samples with a bass running through it?

2. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    tried one once, it was pretty much unuseable on bass... too much lower octave with no blend. Maybe with an LS2 it could work?

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I love mine with bass. 8-bit sound ahoy!

4. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005

not too much low for your amp??

5. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Sound clip pleeeeeeeaseeeeeee!!!!

6. endlessbassic

endlessbassic

Dec 23, 2004
    Aren't BlueBox's are an octave above? Or do you mean that the original signal is too 'up front'?

7. The Blue Box produces a signal one and two octaves below the original. However, if you put the blend control mostly to the original octave side, it just makes lots of weird fuzzy noises. It also helps to play very high notes (relative to normal bass stuff). I don't know how useful the pedal is, but I often steal one from my guitarist. It makes a really intense organ type of sound, or it can make Atari noises. I love it. Sorry, no samples. I suppose I could go make one, though...

8. endlessbassic

endlessbassic

Dec 23, 2004

Huh.. i could've sworn mine went an octave up.. oops!

..just checked the MXR site. Right you are, but it says '2 octaves
    down' and that's it.. nothing about 1 octave.

Is it possible that the original issues (mine's a first-run script logo)were different?

9. You know, it probably does only do two octaves down. It's hard to tell since it makes so much fuzzy noise. Looks like we were both a bit wrong. Anyway, I'm working on some samples right now. Nothing fancy, but they should help.

ABSIV likes this.
  10. Alright, I think I got a workable sample done. It's played in a very high register to avoid any ugliness. The first part is obviously clean (for comparison). The second part is done with the blend all the way right, and the third part is with the blend in the middle. Notice that the low notes at the end sound like pure noise. I decided not to record it with the blend all the way left, as it sounds like total crap.

Enjoy!

The Blue Box

If that doesn't work, go here: My New Blue Box Page

11. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    has anyone else tried a dod buzz box? i bought mine NOS for 40 bucks last month and i love it, its similar to the mxr blue box, but much less tame

12. I don't think I would want anything less tame than the Blue Box. It's already pretty fuzzy. You should be able to get one through any MXR dealer, but they will have to order it for you. No one has them in stock. No one wants to buy them.