1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR BOD mid boost and different basses

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Oct 16, 2013.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I use the MXR bass octave deluxe with a P bass strung with rounds, and a fretless Jazz strung with flats. What would be the advantages of boosting the mids at the 2 settings, 400hz and 850hz for each bass ?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    My best advice ... try it and choose the setting that sounds best to your own ears?

I'm about to just that after another thread reminded me about the internal switch yesterday.

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Thanks FretNoMore. To my ears the higher 850hz boost works best with my setup. It adds a nice presence. The 400hz boost sounds just a bit boxy with the P bass.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That's what I suspect I will do as well, when adding the lower octave the sound probably benefits from the higher boost. I will try it tonight though.

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I've used my MXR with both the mid switch and a separate EQ just to see which frequencies seem to push it best. At least to me, the higher of the two EQ points results in better clarity and note definition. The same is true for the MXR Bass Envelope filter - it opens up much better with a strong midrange EQ going into the effect.

Lonnybass

6. I've tried both settings but always went with the 400hz with my basses (passive fretted & fretless jazz basses & active custom fretless) It just sounds nicer to my ears and seems to cut through better. I also very rarely use the Girth knob, usually just the Growl for lots of nice mids, especially on fretless.

7. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    When using both pickups on a Jazz I like some extra 300-400hz in there to thicken the sound, with a P bass I like some boost anywhere around 900hz-2k for some pleasant grindiness.