1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR BOD questions, help appreciated!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DTrocks, May 6, 2010.

1. DTrocks

DTrocks

Jan 27, 2008
    Hi all, I recently acquired a mxr bass octave deluxe, and i love the sounds I can get out of it. However, I'm facing a little problem.

I found out that when the bod is on, the first 12 frets on my G string cannot be tracked properly. The tone keeps glitching. When i play the same notes on the D string, its fine. :( The problem also goes away once i hit the 12th fret on the G string. Is this a problem with my bass output?

Its a passive jazz clone. When the pedal is off, the open G string sounds very trebly compared to 5th fret on D, but its still of proper volume, i don't know why the BOD cannot track it.

Please help me analyse what is going on :crying:

Thanks in advance!

2. I've found that this happens with dead spots. For me it really on happens on the 5th fret of the G string. I'd hazard a guess that your issue has to do with either the relief on your neck or the height of your frets. If you have another bass see how it performs in the problems area of the jazz (first 12 frets). If it turns out the same it could be the pedal, and if it doesn't get your bass setup or do it yourself :).

3. DTrocks

DTrocks

Jan 27, 2008
    hello! thanks for the quick reply!

i haven't got another bass, but i heightened the strings by a bit, and the glitching seems to have subsided by a bit, and with the dry signal up, its sounds much better then just now!! :hyper:

i have never touched my truss rod before, so i don't actually know how to do the neck relief thing, and since i only have 1 bass, i dare not experiment haha.

thank you again!

4. +1 kewsi, get the bass setup properly because i dout it would be the BOD if the same not on the d string is working fine. things like this are often happen with cheaper bass.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Was going to suggest that you raise the G-string saddle, but looks like you got it taken care of.

6. DTrocks

DTrocks

Jan 27, 2008
    Im trying to save up for a sterling ray 35, but its a slow process :crying: heh

Thanks!

Now its not glitching as much on the g string, but the volume of just the octave down sounds 'weak' on the G string. The octave down sounds very very solid on the A string, just not the G string. Could it be the signal from my passive bass is a little weak? Would running anything in front of the BOD help?

Thanks again in advance :)

7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Try using more neck pickup, less bridge. You might even turn the bridge p/u down all the way if it doesn't buzz too bad. If that doesn't work, try raising the treble side of the pickups a little bit. Hopefully one of these, or a combination of both, will help improve your G output through the pedal.