1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR Custom Badass 78 Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TravTrav, Feb 12, 2013.

1. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    Has anyone tried it on bass? Thoughts?

2. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm also curious about this!

3. I own one of these. It is a harsh sounding distortion pedal which cuts quite some low end. One could try modding it or using a clean blend. Other than that it is really agressive sounding, maybe right for some people looking for an always-on metal sound or noise making in the middle of a song. But not really what you expect from a good bass effects pedal.

4. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the informative response!

5. Harlan Beeton

Harlan Beeton

Apr 28, 2015
    I see you already got a response, but i just wanted to say that I LOVE mine on bass, especially through an SVT with a bright sounding bass like a p or j bass. It is kinda harsh and aggressive but if thats what your looking for its perfect. if not then try something else. I didnt really expect much out of mine but it is killer, also barely any if not no low end loss :)

6. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    FWIW, the guys at my local Sam Ash rave about this pedal for bass. But I personally have never tried it out, and I don't nevessarily trust the Sam Ash salesman. I wasn't in the market for it, so it's not like they were trying to sell it to me though, which means they may have been being honest.

7. I'm a Darkglass guy, but there are no videos of this on bass..

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I hear that the super badass distortion sounds phenomenal on bass. the 3-band eq would probably make it easy to dial in a great distorted bass sound on bass. if you're looking for a grinding sound, I guess you can check out this pedal. or if you want another choice for a distortion pedal, check out the ebs metaldrive or the markbass mini bass distortion.

9. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I extensively tried out a custom 78 badass today with a 1976 stock P bass and I have to say that whoever said this thing cuts low end was not listening to the same pedal I played. The pedal actually seemed to veritably heap low end onto my signal and overall the distortion characteristic was amazing. I paired it up with a phase 90 at the store and was very, very impressed at how good the combo sounded with the P bass. And to top it off, I was going thru a solid state marshall mini half stack for guitar, so I can just imagine how huge it would sound with a proper rig.

Driven Crane likes this.
  10. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    ^
    Hey man, far be it from me to deny what you heard when you played the pedal (especially since I've never seen/heard one in person), but I must admit that using a SS guitar amp as a measuring stick for how much low end content is in the pedal, or overall signal, is not exactly what I'd call definitive...

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have one and, IMO, it's a nice sounding pedal. there's a little low end loss but not a lot. the circuit based on the modded Keeley DS-1.

12. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Well, you may be right, but when I turned the pedal on, the lows were enhanced in the final sound coming out of the amp. I have to assume that this means the pedal retained/enhanced the lows and if it did that on a guitar amp, I have to assume it would do the same when used with a bass amp.

13. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Cool. My guitarist just got one of these. I may just have to try his out.

I've always wondered about this one. It would be pretty cool if it worked that well with my setup. I've been hunting for a good bass dist for a while now. I just got one of those MXR bass dist and I do dig it. But I also dig the boss DS1 I have. The DS1 is harsh and does rob a bit of low end the more you brighten it up with the tone knob. Thanks for the heads up on this one guys!

14. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Yo Gregmon, you should definitely give it a whirl. It's all I can do from going out and buying one right now. The only thing keeping me from doing it is I'm now on a "pedal economy" kick, meaning one pedal for each effect. My Ron Swanson has miles beyond beat every other Dist/OD/Fuzz off my board because of its huge sound, aggressive character and incredible touch sensitivity with my volume control. But damn I want me a 78 badass. If you check it out, please tell us your thoughts.