1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mxr distortion +, any good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 33degrees, Aug 13, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    mxr distortion +, any good? a lot of bass lost?

2. lsdn

lsdn

Sep 6, 2003
    padova (italy)
    in my experience:really good distortion also with bass guitar, lower output volume than other pedals and a lot of bass frequencies lost.
    I use it connected in parallel and blended with the dry signal:this solution sounds better.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Electronically it's nearly identical to the DOD Preamp 250. In this, I must say that they both lose a bit of bass, but IMO, the tone is worth it. A blend never hurts though.

4. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    you can't beat the price of the DOD either. As much as I use it (maybe 2 songs out of 4 sets), I couldnt justify spending more cash on the higher priced OD's.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have owned both pedals (the DOD 250 and the MXR DI+) and I'll say that dalley has it pretty much on the money. If you're only looking for a distortion effect, the DOD 250 at 39 bucks is the way to go. I actually thought its distortion was a little better than the MXR in terms of actual, "useable" bass distortion that was a little more than just fuzz.