Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR Dynacomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pacojastorius, Feb 6, 2006.

1. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    im interested to know if anyone has ever used one for some time as there are a lot of clones about now.

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I had one for a while, but was rather unimpressed. I heard a rumor that it was designed as an update of a Ross Gray Compressor. I don't know if this is true, though. Stock, the Dyna Comp was nothing special, IMO but there are a lot of modifications available for them. Maybe they can be made to sound great. The best bet is to try one out and see if you like it. Good luck.

3. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Hi,

I'd like to pose a question about the Dynacomp. I know that everyone has a different concept of how a good compressor pedal should function for basses. But what I'm trying to find out is if the Dynacomp can serve as an 'effect' for exagerated squashing, ala Stuart Zender's boss me-8b slap/finger funk sound? I'm already using the Aphex Punch factory on my board for 'general' transparent compression. Thanks!

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    That's roughly what I used mine for. It worked, but the release was very uneven and warbled a lot. I get better results using the comp that's built into my R600. I know it's not the best compressor out there but it does the trick better than a Dyna Comp. I've heard good things about the Boss CS-2, if you can find one. Good luck.

5. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advice on the Dyna Bass-Shy! And uh...damn i sold my CS-2 not too long ago hah :bawl:

6. max177

max177

Mar 13, 2006
    I've heard a lot of negative stuff about the Boss CS-2. I like MXR pedals, but I wouldn't get the Dynacomp because Analogman's pedals are better clones, they're improvements also: http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm
    His clones are awesome because he fixes the problems that existed in the original versions. There's no warbling. Minimal hiss as far as compressors go. There's a waiting list for the Bi-compROSSor, which is 2 compressors in one pedal (modeled after the Dynacomp/Ross and Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer). So I bought the 2 pedals individually as they are both in stock - the compROSSor and the Juicer. The Juicer gives major "squish" like the Dynacomp. The compROSSor can also give a lot of "squish", and it has really lasting sustain. There's a lot of reviews of these pedals on harmony-central.com.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The dyna-comp is more of a sustainer than a compressor. It really boosts the initial attack and then holds the note up. When I used the dynacomp for quarter notes it clipped the mixer on every note then dropped to a reasonable level.

I also found it noisey, but probably not bad in a gig situation.

8. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

As I understand it, there's Dynacomps, then there's more Dynacomps from different eras. The older ones are said to be "better", dunno.

I have one from the 80's, sounds good, not noisy, but takes one of those pesky 1/8" adaptor plugs.

I dig the CS-1, which is totally different than the over-hyped CS-2.

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I wouldn't say that the CS-2 is a great compressor, I was only stating that it is decent as a "squashing effect". It isn't transparent but it works better than a Dynacomp for the purpose the above poster is looking for, IMO.

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    The current-model CS-3 is great for squash; I can tell you that. It's the one I choose.

Joe