1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR EL GRANDE BASS FUZZ - Review & Vid

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afroman, Aug 31, 2008.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fisrt of all I found this on YouTube don't know if it's been posted before:

I got my MXR El Grande in a TB trade.

First impression: Looks awesome, blue LEDs are a +. The pedal has insane amounts of gain. I still haven't tried it in band volume but just keeping the volume just before 9 o'clock provides ample volume. I tweaked the Trimpot on the insaide to compare the bass frequency and adjust the boost amount. I prefered it set at 113HZ and I lowered the gain on the boost. It was just too much bass boost and it got kind of muddy. With it at about 3/4s the bass boost is more usable IMO.

I like the sounds you can from it a lot. From deep almost synthy to guitar-like buzzed tones. The TONE knob is what makes this pedal for me.

I'll give more impressions when I give it a full blast with the band

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Huh, that's actually a pretty good fuzz. I may have to try this thing out come Tuesday.

3. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

Jul 11, 2008
    I used one of these for awhile, I really didn't like it. I very much prefer the Bass Big Muff.

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm gonna give it a good try and a chance and see how it fits and sounds in the mix and at good volume. The tone seems really good, what I really want to test is the cutting ability or muddyness of it.

5. I really like it. Make sure to remember the ajustability of the trim pot for the deep switch. That makes a large difference.

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes as I mentioned, I put it at about 3/4s and it made the boost just a little and to me better than the full 15db which sounded real muddy and ost a lot of definition.

Let's see what happens...

7. Me too, but to be fair it's pretty different from the BBM and I can imagine some people preferring it.

8. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    When I tried it out in the store I thought it sounded a lot like the Blowtorch, which I already own, and therefore wasn't really all the useful for me. I'm waiting on a Bass Big Muff right now.. and possibly one of the new XO BMS in the near future as well..