1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR Envelope Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hasbeen, May 8, 2010.

1. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Just a heads up. I've been playing around with the Dunlop MXR Envelope pedal.

I don't remember the last time I've had so much fun with a pedal. I haven't done a gig with it yet....will do that tonight.

The pedal comes with some suggested settings. These didn't work for me.....they were too drastic...could kill small animals. If anyone is looking at this pedal and wants the settings that worked for me....let me know. I have different settings for slap vs. finger vs. pick funk.

The only drawback is that my guitarist heard it at rehearsal. So now, he plans on getting one for guitar. He has enough pedals.....and I don't want our stage to sound like the battle of the envelopes. :scowl:

Anyway.....cool, cool pedal.

2. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    I was considering getting one. How is it with slap?

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll have one of these little magic boxes before too long, after an over 3 year love affair with a Menatone MailBomb. The MXR sounds great, and has much more overall control. Plus, it'll match the BOD and Carbon Copy I have now.

4. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I used to own one of the original MXR Envelope Filters (the one in the mustard colored casing), so I'm curious how the new ones compare. Mine was incredibly simple to use and sounded great, especially on slap. None of that piercing thinning out high end quack you get with so many of these devices, just a great even tone all around.

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    its great for slap. You can really dial it in for a tone that won't spike too much when you snap the string. As mentioned above, it doesn't thin out too much.

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    I think you'll like this one then.

7. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    People need to stop praising this pedal so much before I buy one for myself. :scowl:

8. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    :)

My six year old daughter liked it because the purple sparkle paint job.

9. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    You know even that little thing appeals to me because it would fit right in with the colors of all my other pedals. :crying:

10. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    And don't forget the led is blue.

11. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Great little filter IMO...although I was able to get some pretty good spikes out of it - a twist of a knob solved that though. Really like it in conjunction with the BOD and am looking forward to trying it with the Micro POG that should be on it's way to me before too long. I would still like to try a 3 leaf for myself though.

12. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Just like the LED on my PorkLoin, Blender, and BOD... :help:

13. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i'd love to see a comparison between this new MXR filter and the 3leaf. not that theyre similar, but theyre two on the top of a lot of peoples lists. well, mine atleast.

how is the MXR in terms of tone preservation? with a filter like a mutron/qtron or FX25, its pretty much the tone of the filter takes over, where as the 3leaf is priased for preserving a good tone and just giving it a little bubble. anyone want to speak for the MXR on this?

my other inquiry is, are the level knobs for wet/dry blends or actual volume knobs? ie, i can set it to have a bit of a volume spike if i wanted? then get rid of it when i dont want it?

14. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    User: Simon Langley had a review that he posted in his FS thread (he must've deleted it though). You might PM him for a rundown between the two.

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    you can preserve the original tone as much as you'd like....with the "dry" knob. ...by mixing in the direct signal. And yes, if you dial the direct and/or fx control fully clockwise, you'll experience a boost.....at least I did.

When bypassing the pedal, your tone is original.....the pedal is ture, hardwire bypassed.

16. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Agreed- with the sample settings in the manual, I got some good spikes too......which I mentioned as a bit "drastic".

The most musical/applicable setting on the pedal for me is:
    o'clock format-
    dry 12
    fx 12
    decay 3
    Q 3
    Sensitivity 5 i.e. full-clockwise

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Been loving mine, I'm not getting a great slap tone yet, though, and it seems to need tweaking if I swap my bass, but mostly on sensitvity.

18. please stop. i got a 3leaf and love it but this sounds to good......

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    the Groove Regulator is a pro piece for sure.

20. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I got one of these yesterday and used it on a gig last night after spending some time with it in the afternoon. It's the first filter I've tried that gets the sound I'm after. I've been using it with the decay on about 11 o'clock and just a tiny bit of Q. But the great thing about it for me is the ability to blend the dry signal in with the effect, so your bass still stays full in the mix when you stomp the filter on for some funky growling squelchiness. I love it for slapping, even more than the fingerstyle stuff, I think. I might try to record a few clips at some stage.

Anyway, I'm keeping this one on my board for sure (unlike my Auto Q, which I ended up selling because it couldn't nail the effects that this one does).

[​IMG]

Crappy phone camera photo, sorry.