Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR Flanger Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Oct 17, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used to own a Boss BF-2 Flanger when I was a kid, but gave it away to my little brother. I thought it was a pretty cool pedal but rarely used it in a band setting. I ended up getting the Boss because I heard that was what was used in the Tool song 46&2.

These days I am using effects more effectively and having a pretty good time at it. I am considering a flanger again and noticed that MXR makes one that looks pretty similar to the Boss one. Anyone know the differences between this one and the BF-2 or recommend/warn against it?

2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm very interested in the MXR M-117R also.

Looking for a more extreme flanger, doesn't have to be the most extreme, but want something that can definately get at least a little wilder than most.

I play an active j into 300 tube watts & a 210/212.

The others I'm looking at are the EH Hoax, Ibanez FL9 Reissue, & the (sorry, digital) Line 6 Liqua.

Also want as little bottom loss as possible (who doesn't ?), not too much (if any) noise, & sturdy build.

Comments on these or others?

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Line 6 MM4 comes with two flangers based on the MXR and the ADA flangers (along with 3 phasers, 2 Leslies, 3 chori, 3 trems, a vibe and a ring mod). I use the ADA setting along with a CEB3 for a satisfying ethereal effect.

I've noticed no loss of bottom when this stompbox is actuated.