MXR Flanger Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Oct 17, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used to own a Boss BF-2 Flanger when I was a kid, but gave it away to my little brother. I thought it was a pretty cool pedal but rarely used it in a band setting. I ended up getting the Boss because I heard that was what was used in the Tool song 46&2.

These days I am using effects more effectively and having a pretty good time at it. I am considering a flanger again and noticed that MXR makes one that looks pretty similar to the Boss one. Anyone know the differences between this one and the BF-2 or recommend/warn against it?
  2. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm very interested in the MXR M-117R also.

Looking for a more extreme flanger, doesn't have to be the most extreme, but want something that can definately get at least a little wilder than most.

I play an active j into 300 tube watts & a 210/212.

The others I'm looking at are the EH Hoax, Ibanez FL9 Reissue, & the (sorry, digital) Line 6 Liqua.

Also want as little bottom loss as possible (who doesn't ?), not too much (if any) noise, & sturdy build.

Comments on these or others?
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Line 6 MM4 comes with two flangers based on the MXR and the ADA flangers (along with 3 phasers, 2 Leslies, 3 chori, 3 trems, a vibe and a ring mod). I use the ADA setting along with a CEB3 for a satisfying ethereal effect.

I've noticed no loss of bottom when this stompbox is actuated.