1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR M-102 Dyna Comp Users?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EBMan, Aug 15, 2007.

1. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be much mention of using the MXR Dyna Comp as a bass compressor. It wasn't even reviewed in the compressor review megathread. Why is that? I've found it to work very well with little noise using a Sterling and GK amp. I'm very pleased with it but I wonder if I'm missing something? The MXR frequency response covers a bass signal.

I tried out an Aphex Punch Factory prior to buying the Dyna Comp and found it to be so transparent that I couldn't tell any difference when it was on or off. This and the MXR were about my only options at GC in the moderate price range so I chose the MXR.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've been meaning to review one, but just haven't gotten around to it.

3. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I owned a new one recently and tried it several times, hoping it would be a cool effect for bass. It's far too noisey, extreme and squashing my opinion to be used for anything else than a novelty effect.

The compression is so blatent and it reduces the gain so much that the output level has to be almost cranked. I can see how this was a cool effect for that country music "chicken pickin" telecaster sound, but for bass playing, there are just so many better compressors out there.

If i was a guitar player,I would have a modern MXR clone type compressor with all the upgrades.

But as a bass player, I think you are much better off with something else.

4. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    I don't notice much noise through my setup unless the compression is around 3 and the volume is over 12. Even then it's not bad. I play a Sterling through a GK210. It also runs through an M-80 and several EH pedals. All-in-all fairly quiet. But what do you mean by squashing? Can you put that in simple terms for a simple mind?

Thanks,

5. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    That's under about $125 and available at GC? I tried the Aphex PF out and didn't much care for it. Plus it gets somewhat mixed reviews with a lot of mention of the plastic jacks.

Everything else seems to be much more expensive or unavailable to try out.

Thanks again,

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    BBE Opto-Stomp. Done deal.

Re: squashing- try playing one note at the widest range of dynamics, from the gentlest pluck to the hardest pop. How much variation in signal level do you observe? Listen also to the attack of your note and the attack of the compression, A/B'd with the bypassed clean signal. How much of a difference can you hear? And lastly, when you let a note sustain, do you hear an inrushing swell of noise?

All of those things indicate how much your signal is being "squashed" by the compressor. Note that sometimes audible artifacts are desireable or unavoidable; but they are certainly a deciding factor in whether somebody likes what they hear.

7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    With the output past 12:00 and the sensitivity low will the dyna comp act as a volume boost, with maybe just a hint of compression?

Has anyone got any sound samples of the MXR? I can only find them using guitar on Youtube.

8. In my experience, with an original Dyna Comp, it's VERY squishy; pretty well all-or-nothing. No subtle, transparent compression here. It's the sort of pedal I'd use as an effect rather than where I want to gently even out notes..

That's not necessarily a negative, by the way. I really like the aggressive sound it gives in a Rock context but forget having quieter dynamics when it's on.

9. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    So even with the sensitivity at 7:00 (minimum) it will be squashy?