MXR M-188 Auto Q help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by beepee, May 3, 2004.

1. beepee

May 2, 2004
    Hey i just bought one of these and was looking for some ideas of how to make it sound like a traditional auto wah ie without the sweeping effect.
    I mean i would like the same tone each time i slap the string as opposed to the sound coming in and out. Just some user setups would be good. And yes i have read the manual. I am just confused by the 6 buttons on the bloody thing.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    welcome to Talkbass!

An auto-wah uses a frequency sweep, so I'm not sure if you're talking about the auto-wah effect itself or the 'shimmer' that's also available, if you don't want 'shimmer' then turn the blend knob all the way to the left. Once you do that, you've taken the 'rate' and 'blend' knobs out of the equation.

There are four examples in the manual, why not use them as starting points and work from there to get sounds you want? The fourth one, Mark Browne, is a good start for auto-wah - just take the blend and rate all the way down if you don't want the shimmer.

Also, if the number of knobs is still too many for you then maybe check out some other simpler pedals. The old dod fx-25 can be gotten on ebay for $25 and it's a perfectly good auto wah. EBS BassIQ can be had for more than the MXR, it's very simple to operate.
  3. beepee

May 2, 2004
    Thanx a bunch! That was helpful. It works a treat with the big muff now. :)
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yay. Another Big Muff lover :p